FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Table Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Originally posted by jupiterboy jupiterboy wrote:

My Sota has a motor/pulley, but the shaft attracts that downy cat fur, human hairs, and other assorted fluff. There is very little clearance, > 1/8", so getting in there and cutting the mass loose and removing it takes longer than you might think, and it degrades the motor performance. I'd probably not characterize myself as paranoid in this regard, but I appreciate your tone. 

That sounds like a bit of a pain. Is the motor separate on this model or under the dust cover? Just curious.

What cartridge(s) do you plan on using? That might factor in whether the KAB damper is worth trying or not. However, it sounds like it might be better to skip it in your case.

Also curious, do you have some kind of air filter system to deal with the pet hair? FWIW I've never been much of a cat person. When I had dogs, they were mostly short haired dogs that wouldn't shed much. Vacuuming at least once a day usually took care of it.

The Comet motor is in a cut-out under the platter, and I use a dust cover. Stuff just drifts in there, and if it is floating, opening the cover probably actually sucks stuff in. 

At the moment I'm using an AT-VM95ML, which is OK and typically needs change two or three times a year. I have to go cheap because of the high use and wear.

Late dog and now a cat, but the house is old. Can't get a house in this city that is newer than 100 years. There is a central filter, but I don't see daily vacuuming and we so often have various windows open that it is a bit hopeless. 

This is why I'm asking about how well sealed up the Technics motor is. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by jupiterboy jupiterboy wrote:

The Comet motor is in a cut-out under the platter, and I use a dust cover. Stuff just drifts in there, and if it is floating, opening the cover probably actually sucks stuff in. 

At the moment I'm using an AT-VM95ML, which is OK and typically needs change two or three times a year. I have to go cheap because of the high use and wear.

Late dog and now a cat, but the house is old. Can't get a house in this city that is newer than 100 years. There is a central filter, but I don't see daily vacuuming and we so often have various windows open that it is a bit hopeless. 

This is why I'm asking about how well sealed up the Technics motor is. 

Hmm. The 95ML is actually one of my favorite cartridges and I used it as a daily driver for around 3 years on both a vintage JVC table and my new 1200. I think with this cartridge, you can probably skip the KAB damper. I ran it without for awhile. Main reason I have the damper on now is I'm using a higher compliance cartridge for the time being and I have some records from when I was younger that have slight warps to them. The damper basically acts as a shock absorber, to put things simply.

The Technics motors are "sealed for life" motors that need no maintenance. The motor is under the platter and not exposed. The gap between the platter and plinth is extremely small and there is also a layer of thick rubber on the underside of the platter. It's going to be difficult for anything to get in there under normal circumstances.

In an extra dusty environment with pet hair, there may be a chance of something getting under there, but the situation will still be much better than many other turntables with exposed motor spindles and all that.

What I would do if anything gets under there is carefully remove the mat and platter and take a can of compressed air to spray it out. I would spray away from the tonearm to avoid anything getting in the gimbal mechanism of the arm.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 8:58pm
One of the new Technics SL1200 or 1210's would be my advice for good sound and reliability. By contrast cats are great IMO but unpredictable and the underfur gets everywhere including in your hifi. If it helps my SL1210/II was and is very low maintenance, I did change the stock tonearm but I had a more expensive arm that I wanted to use and so I sold the Technics one.

I am now a fan of Technics linear trackers. The SL-7 and SL-QL1 use almost the same direct drive as an SL1200 and have T4P cartridges so no faffing with alignment. I miss that a bit but just pressing play and hearing good music helps. You can get a good one and a decent cartridge for £500-600.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

One of the new Technics SL1200 or 1210's would be my advice for good sound and reliability. By contrast cats are great IMO but unpredictable and the underfur gets everywhere including in your hifi. If it helps my SL1210/II was and is very low maintenance, I did change the stock tonearm but I had a more expensive arm that I wanted to use and so I sold the Technics one.

I am now a fan of Technics linear trackers. The SL-7 and SL-QL1 use almost the same direct drive as an SL1200 and have T4P cartridges so no faffing with alignment. I miss that a bit but just pressing play and hearing good music helps. You can get a good one and a decent cartridge for £500-600.

I had a Mitsubishi linear tracker in school and have such fond memories. Those records from that period still sound great, too! I think it made me picky about tracing distortion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic