FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HOW MUCH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:39pm
The Laws of diminishing returns. We all know about this when it comes to HiFi, just over five years ago when I bought a complete system I asked the dealer about the CD player and could I improve on it, the answer was yes but I would be looking at a 75% increase in price for a small sound improvement. I know this is relative but when spending upwards of say £100000 on a amp you are probably talking nearer £300000 to get a small improvement so what I'm trying to say is, there has to be a point where what something costs, you are not going to hear any difference. Is a amp costing $2.2m going to sound a lot better than one costing $500000. How would someone even with trained ears be able to say yes I can hear a difference.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:06pm
I now have one of the “best measuring” DACs feeding one of the “best measuring” preamps paired with one of the “best measuring” power amplifiers.

The jury is still out on if it sounds better than my hybrid preamp with the same equipment.
Sure, you get to hear the recording, warts and all.
Is it more musical? Do I prefer it?

You also need to bear in mind that one of the most important factors in a good sounding system is more difficult to get right - the speaker/room interface. Mine is far from perfect.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:45pm
Kevin
 I agree with you.
Where you have your HiFi can and does make a difference, I have had to make compromises you have probably had to do the same. My listening room as to have other uses one of which is the TV. I do have my speakers out into the room where they sound best but I do have to move them when my HiFi is not being used. It would be nice to have a dedicated listening room, when spending mega money on HiFi you'll only get the best out of it with such a room. I have a mate that has a dedicated listening room but even this is a compromise one of which is the size and shape, his speakers can't be put in the ideal place or he can't get in or out of the room. It also has to double up as a guest room. But he does say it's better than nothing "his wife hates his type of music"
I would like to know what a mega money system sounds like "something costing hundreds of thousands"  Where's that lottery win"
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 9:27pm
When I retire, I want to put a log cabin in the garden. The plan is that this will become my listening room. That way I don’t have to compromise on anything. It will be my space, in which I can do what I like.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 9:44pm
NICE

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 9:47pm
I will always approach speaker setup as nearfield so I can implement proximity effect rather than box effect. No high SPLs needed. The transition point between headphone and speaker gives the best results IMO. Don't have to wear anything on the head, frontal enough for true depth and binaural image, no large excursions encouraging driver breakup, bass extension not solely dependent on driver loading and box dimensions, can eliminate complex crossovers and multi-way. Never liked the traditional approach much. All my money goes on the driver/s then I dress it like a peasant.

Edited by Ash - 03 Mar 2022 at 9:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic