FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Good pre-amp kit/PCB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good pre-amp kit/PCB
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
Continuing on my journey to have a DIY system (as much as practically possible) I am looking at building a pre amp.

I am just wondering if anybody has been down a similar path, and have any recommendations?

I want something I can fit a high quality stepped attenuator. Remote control would be nice, but not essential.

So a PCB that I can build into a case would be ideal.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:45am
I did mention I was working on such. I still am.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:27pm
I had forgotten. 

Thanks for the reminder.

Kevin
JohnG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:53pm
you might like to consider how a pre-amp should be controlled?

• It seems there is a strong argument for making the signal path Analogue, but providing some flexiblity for how the switching is done.
  • my choice would be to control it by a microcontroller (such as the Raspberry Pi Pico), 
  • but you have suggestions of IR and switches already...

My rationale:
  • I have gone from an overly complex analogue (NAIM based) system and am in the process of migrating to just a digital streaming device and a record deck.
  • NB by streaming rather than go down the Spotify / etc. route I prefer to purchase digital albums, more or less directly from the artists via Bandcamp, and stream within the house
  • Simultaneously for various reasons we are going down the smart speaker / smart home route.
  • I think I'd rather just have a physical volume control only
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
In the past I've worked with Holtek remote control chips as an alternative to regular remote controls. They are normally associated with garage door openers, but the RF side is easily replaced by IR transmitter and receivers (so as not to interfere with garage doors!)

I also have a liking for the old Armstrong 600 series input selector which was a precursor to the chip input selectors found in many of today's amps.

It may be possible to link the two ideas and do away with dodgy relays and wave change or rotary switches, and make it expandable for other forms of control.

I'll have to dig out my design work from a few years ago and think it over.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by JohnG JohnG wrote:

you might like to consider how a pre-amp should be controlled?

• It seems there is a strong argument for making the signal path Analogue, but providing some flexiblity for how the switching is done.
  • my choice would be to control it by a microcontroller (such as the Raspberry Pi Pico), 
  • but you have suggestions of IR and switches already...

My rationale:
  • I have gone from an overly complex analogue (NAIM based) system and am in the process of migrating to just a digital streaming device and a record deck.
  • NB by streaming rather than go down the Spotify / etc. route I prefer to purchase digital albums, more or less directly from the artists via Bandcamp, and stream within the house
  • Simultaneously for various reasons we are going down the smart speaker / smart home route.
  • I think I'd rather just have a physical volume control only

I want to leave "Pi"s out of it. I want a relatively simple device.
Source selection, I am happy with manual control as if I am listening to digital music, the source is selected on the DAC. I don't want to be messing around with software etc. in a pre-amp.

If I am listening to vinyl, then I don't need a remote to change source, as I can do that when I lift the tone arm.

I would like a SS preamp, as I already have a valve/hybrid device, which is probably the bottleneck in my system now.

As for the sound signature, I don't really want one. I want to hear the recording as it was meant to be.

Three inputs minimum would be good, but a variable and fixed level output are required. One for my amp, the other for the Solo UL.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic