FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which lossless format?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:32am
I originally used ALAC because of having Apple devices. I never really though much of the sound I was getting still preferring CD, it was convenient. I’ve recently had a go with FLAC. It appears I have to rip everything again! To my ear holes it’s much better sound wise.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:15am
I don't wish to go with a format that favours any one operating system or computer architecture, preferring a universal and versatile format. It's more about data preservation than anything else. I'd rather have 10-20 massive SSDs/HDDs than hundreds or thousands of discs and plastic cases. I don't have the space to store it all and online downloads for it are either dreadful quality and/or illegally obtained. It is the audio that evokes my emotional response and enjoyment, not usually the physical product I am holding. Although a few of my albums have beautiful artwork that enhances the experience and I probably would keep them. The uncertainty is why I have horded discs but not created longterm archival rips.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

I originally used ALAC because of having Apple devices. I never really though much of the sound I was getting still preferring CD, it was convenient. I’ve recently had a go with FLAC. It appears I have to rip everything again! To my ear holes it’s much better sound wise.

You shouldn't have to rip anything again when moving from one lossless format to another.  I use Linux so would use either ffmpeg (command line) or Soundconverter (GUI) to perfrom the conversion.  It's worth researching to see what's available on your own operating system as the conversion preserves the metadata, the bane of file based music storage. 
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 5:26pm
JWatson replied before I could. It is really easy to batch covert the old files to a new file type and preserve the metadata. It will take time if you have a large library but is much faster than re-ripping. After a test run on a couple of albums you could do the conversion in stages as I did rather than starting one massive batch. I recommend the new files go into a different folder.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic