FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thoughts on the Genera?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on the Genera?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:45pm
(probably worth starting by saying I'm competent at soldering, and have been assembling computer/audio electronics for ages)

I have a Sumiko Blue Point no 2 on a Michell Gyro SE. The Blue Point is a high output moving coil 2.5mv.

I plan on running it into a minidsp and some LX521's.

I am very tempted by the Genera as a replacement phono preamp (for my Naim NAP/NAC) 

looking at the specs the o/p is within the Genera's i/p range 2-10mv

I'd very much like to here views on how well suited this might be, and whether there was perhaps a need to change i/p capacitance or try and up the voltage?

thanks
John
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 6:16pm
I have a Genera which I think was the first one that came out. I found it was easy to build thanks to the clear handbook and it was the best preamp I had owned, later I got a Reflex M and an Accession but I still rate the Genera. Great kit and very good sound so good VFM!

On mine I reduced the input capacitance to 100pF for a high inductance cartridge. But I must say the type of capacitor is important, the Evox ones that HFC use sound great whereas the other types for comparison were not as good despite being the same value. I found the original 220pF sounded better than a 100pF of another type.

I hope you build your own Genera and like it as much as I do mine.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic