FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

cartridge "low" voltage output benchmark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:36am
Hi Tom,

Details of the IQ3 are here:

Its claimed 6.5mV output works superbly with the AccessionM & ReflexM.

Edited by RichW - 27 Sep 2021 at 9:38am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 4:27pm
Thanks Rich for the information, I do have the specs of the IQ3 of course but I don't or didn't recognise sensitivity as the voltage output generated. 
The ISO - an international standards organisation has been in place for decades covering every aspect of engineering etc but sadly seems to have has passed the industry that is our passion by ? Confused
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Teesside Tom Teesside Tom wrote:

but sadly seems to have has passed the industry that is our passion by ? Confused

Respectfully, not so fast, friend!

I gave you my reply just over an hour after you posted your enquiry. Maybe you didn't read it?

You might not consider my knowledge to be worth the bother, so here is the page out of IEC 1938 (probably called 601938 today).

Some manufacturers take the job seriously enough to spend a couple of hundred quid on a relevant standard, while others, quite often the most wealthy, don't give a toss and make it up as they go along, and their pet reviewers too!

And some manufacturers spent their career in electronics instead of business studies, or as a GP, or the hundreds of other non-related careers which seem to qualify them as experts.

On a slightly different subject, my headphone amplifiers complied with this standard's section on headphone amplifiers, until I realised the headphone manufacturers did their own thing, even though the amps drove their headphones bloody well. One headphone manufacturer even uses a DIY "Mint" - standards eh!?

We go the extra mile and have done for 22 years, yet even with one of the best reputations in the industry, there are so many doubting Thomases, and upstart companies boasting they know better.

Do they risk having a loaner program?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
Lost knowledge. You are a treasure Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:05pm
Hi Graham, you are correct I didn't read all of your email, you started off with saying you'll never get a straight answer out of me...... and then went into things like voltages at rotating speeds of centimetres per second @ 1Khz and continued in that vein which was a bit of an overkill for me. 

My comment on industry standards for specifications was not aimed at Graham Slee products in any way. The home loan scheme is surely unique among hi fi manufactures.
I recently almost purchased a valve powered phono stage / phono pre amp from a uk company - they and two of their dealers knew what my system was in detail and we were on the point of closing the sale.
 I contacted another company with regard to purchasing an interconnect cable for the unit and the owner knowing my system cautioned me on the possible incompatibility to drive into my pre amp.
 I contacted the manufacturer of my pre amp who said no problem the phono stage has a source impedance of 50 Ohms and can drive the pre amp input impedance of 20K ohms. One hour later the phono stage manufacturer replied to say the unit was designed to drive into loads of 40 to 100K ohms and could not recommend it for use with my pre amp. 
So to me it seems one manufacturer is using one set of parameters and another manufacturer another to determine component synergy.
I hope this helps clarify my cautious approach and need for identical terminology on specifications when contemplating introducing a new unit into my hi fi system, thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic