FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Making a 6 way socket.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TIM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a 6 way socket.
    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:48pm
Hello all, I'm thinking about a small project but need a little advice please.

At the moment I have a surface mounted three way mains socket that powers my system. I need five sockets at the moment, so I have an extension block plugged into the wall socket to give me enough outlets. I'd like to tidy this up and make a six outlet 'block' to take the place of the three-way surface mount that would be wired directly to the mains supply cable in the wall. I was thinking along the lines of individual unswitched MK sockets (or similar, something decent but not exotic) but thinking about how this would be wired leads me to my question - if I run cable from each of these sockets back to the supply cable I'll have quite a bundle of wire to join to the corresponding wire from the supply cable - any suggestions as to how this could/should be done? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Regards, Tim.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
My thoughts are hire an electrician and avoid burning down your house. Sorry to be so boring, but domestic electrical work is regulated for a reason.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

My thoughts are hire an electrician and avoid burning down your house. Sorry to be so boring, but domestic electrical work is regulated for a reason.

You took the words right out of my mind Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Thirded!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
I may do my own MAINS electrical wiring in my home, but I do have many years training. I have had to do QC checks in the military as an inspector. I know how to make the power circuits safe AND LIGHTNING PROOF... especially when such wiring is in close proximity to nuclear and explosive devices. 

If a person has not had training in MAINS wiring, they should leave that to a "trusted" electrician.

4th on have a "pro" do the job.

Option is to use a good surge-protected, metal housed, power outlet strip... 
or 2 of the same if needed.

Edited by BAK - 25 Sep 2021 at 4:44pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
TIM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:22am
Thanks all for your replies. Maybe I won't embark on that project then, hard to enjoy your music when your house is on fire...Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic