FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Novo Headphone amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 7:26am
Hi Graham.
Me again, if I decide to go for the Fanfare pre amp, I may as well go the whole hog and change my power amp as well. At the moment I am using a Linn Intek, plus I have a pair of Hi-Fi World Mullard  valve amps which I built some years ago in the loft that I may resurect, what would be your recomendation? ditch the lot? or something new?
Cheers
John
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 8:30am
John

What's your budget?  Valve or solid state?  etc.
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 5:27pm
Hello Graham
I have been ruminating on changes to my system since building the Novo head amp and listening to a different and infinitely better sound with headphones via the Novo.
My existing system is Roksan Xerxes, Tabriz arm AT OC9 mc cartridge, Rotel RCD-965BX CD player, Linn Intek integrated amp, Mission 753 speakers.
I have previously used the Linn Intek as a pre-amp going into Hi-Fi world kit Mullard 5-30 valve amps, but my wife put her foot down as to the aesthetics of these, so these are residing in the loft.
I would like to go solid state for the amplification, I have looked at your site and would like to continue with your products due to the previous mentioned improvements.
 I have looked at Gram Amp 3 Fanfare and this looks great, but then I continue to look at more expensive options i.e. Era gold (both versions) and the Elevator EXP, I know this is a completely unfair question! but would the extra money continue to give the required improvements?
What would be your choice?
Also in your previous post you mentioned the Genera kit that is due out, would this be out in the near future?
Sorry to put you in a difficult position but from reading through your site you don't seem to hold your punches and speak your mind eloquently.
All the very best
JohnH
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 5:48am
The truth is the Era Gold V - after a 4 week burn-in and then being powered on all the time - gives a very satisfying listen in a properly balanced system...

But as a properly balanced system could be beyond most of us for one reason or another (including domestic harmony), even though I guess 99.9% of Era Gold V owners are still very happy indeed, perhaps it's not going to be the answer for all?

Budget restrictions will mean it won't be the answer for many and that's why we put in so much effort to our lower priced phono preamps too.

(For MC cartridge use you would have the added expense of the Elevator EXP to step-up the signal to the MM level the Era Gold V requires)

So, if budget restrictions were the case the remaining choice for the MC OC9 would be the Gram Amp 3 "Fanfare".

The Fanfare has been worked on hard since it's introduction around 2005/2006. Most customers have been pleased as punch with its performance but you always get some detractors in the press who spot failings whether real - or red herrings to promote their favourite brand (the one that fills the back pocket... the one's we know told us that)

Small firm survival is a bit different to larger businesses or SME's as those in power misname them....

Having hereby justified our policy of continual improvement, the Fanfare is a very good listen (still) and now gets round virtually all the "minor niggles" real or imaginary through simply being "breathed upon" every month or so as the ideas develop or those found to work well on other products are tried in it.

(I do struggle with all this PC you know... Wink)

As for the Genera, people ask me if they will be kit versions of the SE and the Fanfare, but do you think I could say yes to that? Wink

The truth is that from the case and PCB shape they will be as different as chalk and cheese...

(It's the things I'm not saying you need to listen to)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic