FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham's preamp kit Vs Rega fono mini

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Webba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graham's preamp kit Vs Rega fono mini
    Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, I found you guys whilst searching for a kit phono preamp. My question is, would anyone like to comment on the merits of Graham's phono preamp in the context of my system.

I have a Rega P1 with an upgraded elliptical stylus. I have Rega's entry level phono stage, the fono mini. My amp is a self built Class D kit from an American supplier. Speakers, Monitor Audio Silver Rx6.

I quite like the idea of a kit build not least because of the budget benefits.
Put simply, would you say Graham's kit would represent an upgrade over the Rega unit?

Thanks in anticipation!

Andrew
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 8:53pm
I built '' Genera '' when it was introduced as ' DAK '' label. But for comparison, I had heard the Gram II SE and a few basic at half the price I paid for the 'DAK Genera''. At the time '' Op Amps'' had began to demonstrate good capabilities  and '' Discrete ''' from a good source components and well considered values won hands down with warp and worn grooves vinyl despite washing and drying. I could compare it to other market offers at 50% more. But add a regulated Linear power supply 24V DC and 7 years after use of my DAK Genera, an Upgrade better more clinical sound extracted from the vinyl groove  would required a 300 % monetary Value Consideration.
 I use '' Genera'' also to export WAV files to my Computer and seems very adept to that function. Genera is sometimes used with valve 300B single ended amp and Proprius to BW 620 Focal Chora 705 and Focal ARIA 936.
Webba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:10am
Thanks for your reply Sylvain. There is plenty there for me to have a think about. I will let you know if I go ahead with a purchase.

How did you get on with the build?

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:27am
FWIW I had similar experiences. I got my first PSU1 to power a DAK Genera (I found the build straight forward) and it made an audible difference to the clarity of the records I was playing.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 6:24pm
I think there are some old threads on here about building a DAK phono pre. You might want to peruse those.

I did/do own the Rega Fono Mini A2D - it was a gift from a friend and I used it with a secondary turntable. A decent product I guess but not comparable to my GS Reflex.

I would guess if you built the DAK properly it would easily better the Fono. Depending on what cartridge you are using (and plan on using in the future) you may want to look at changing the input capacitance from 220pf to 100pf. IIRC that is an option if you ask about it when you place your order.

Edited by patientot - 20 Aug 2021 at 6:25pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic