FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What mm cart to a GSP era gold ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ronnyx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What mm cart to a GSP era gold ?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 9:54pm
Is there a fine mm or high output  cart that will especially suite GSP era gold ? I have thought of Goldring 1042 or Goldring 2500 but there is also Denons high output MC DL 110.

Someone who can give a comment?

I know there is more to take in concideration like arm and deck but maybe there is a cart that will suite era gold.....

Smile
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 1:34am
The 1042 is a bit high on inductance for a MM and errs toward the CD sound, but after 4 weeks of the Era Gold V being powered-up 24/7 the whole sound should mellow out.

I know this will be frowned upon by many but the £25 Audio Technica AT95E takes some beating, although a tad edgy in the highs for the first 1/2 to 1 hour. Plus it doesn't care much about the arm/TT.Embarrassed
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:29am

I'm using the Goldring 1042 mounted on Tecnoarm and Michell Gyro.

This is played very nicely through the ERA Gold V ( powered 24/7 ) and sounds good.

The 1042 is a cartridge I have kept going back to over the years as a good all-rounder.

Friends, several of whom are musicians are quite amazed by the good quality of sound!

Just need the Cusat 50, but with the wife just being made redundant from Aviva ( Norwich Union ) spending on the system is a long way away Cry

Adrian. 
ronnyx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 10:22am
I´m sorry but could You please explain what You meant by " powered 24/7 "
?

So far have I tried the Ortofon 2M blue and now I have an AT 95 cart. The Audio Technica was a better cart in my opinion. It was more musical then the ortofon.

If it not was that expensive I think the Linn Adikt had been a terrific choice.

When it came to Goldring G 1042 I wonder if it is such a long break in time and if its result is worth waiting for ?

One cart I have not tried is Denon DL 110. It´s a high output. I´m wondering how it will perform with the Era gold.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 11:17am

I loaned a friend the DL-110 and the Era Gold when he broke his Shure V15 V which he had been using for many years.

The result being that he replaced his Shure with the Denon, though he now uses the DL-160 and replaced his phono stage with a Reflex.

After hearing that set-up, another of his friends has just bought a DL-160 and Gram 2SE.

A number of other posters here have been very happy with the DL-160 also, a very good value for money cartridge indeed.

I very much liked the DL-110 which was my first Denon and I ran that with an Era Gold V - it had a quality of grabbing you by the ear and saying "hey, listen up - music happening now - pay attention".

I currently run a DL-301 II having also used a DL-103 so am a bit of a Denon fan.

Mind you, out here, the Denons have a marked price advantage over the Goldring as well, do not know if the same will apply for you.

Just checked ebay, you can get DL-160 for around $US160.

Oh yes, by "powered 24/7" he means left powered on all the time (24 hrs per day, 7 days per week)

Edited by tg - 18 Jun 2009 at 11:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic