New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - General question about preamps with Proprius amps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

General question about preamps with Proprius amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 1:05am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I run three turntables with one phonostage (Accession) into my Majestic. I use a switch box from dodocus.de.

Thanks, that makes sense. 

From your description you obviously run your turntables to the switch and then from switch box to Accession. Do you find the box adds any noise with small cartridge signal or the extra RCA cable length etc. affects anything? 

I could run both of my phono stages to a switch box, but doing it your way mans I can remove a box (and even sell on the Reflex to offset costs)
I’ve not noticed any detrimental effect. The Dodocus box I have (Model 248) is designed for this purpose. Best to check with Konrad.

OK thanks, I was thinking about total capacitance between cartridge and phono stage. I have a few cartridges and the ATVM95ML for example reccomends a total capacitance of 100-200pF. I was just wondering what the extra circuitry of the switch and additional RCA cable might add and if that would ause an issue.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Sylvain Sylvain wrote:

This issue is also my endeavours for last 12 months  with Two Thorens but saw a QED switch box at Richer Sounds .....but will wait for further from Graham.....

Does the QED box work OK? I have seen them here in Australia as well, and it might be easier than trying to source a box from Germany.

A switch box certainly looks viable for connecting the 2 turntables, but I am also wondering about the pre outs. I could use a splitter cable, but my (limited) understanding is that will halve the output to each side, and I don't know what that would do for a headphone amp or the active subwoofers.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:48am
Fear not about the splitters; they don't halve the "output".

What can happen, in theory, is that if either the headamp has a low impedence input (it doesn't) or the subs have low impedence inputs (they won't) and the pre-amp cannot deal with low impedence loads (it can), then the output voltage of the pre-amp can be dragged down by the higher current draw of two sinks rather than one.

More an issue for sensitive valve gear, not this proposed arrangement of well-designed solid state.

Edited by discrete badger - 19 Jun 2021 at 7:51am
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 3:05am
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

Fear not about the splitters; they don't halve the "output".

What can happen, in theory, is that if either the headamp has a low impedence input (it doesn't) or the subs have low impedence inputs (they won't) and the pre-amp cannot deal with low impedence loads (it can), then the output voltage of the pre-amp can be dragged down by the higher current draw of two sinks rather than one.

More an issue for sensitive valve gear, not this proposed arrangement of well-designed solid state.

Thanks, as stated I have very little understanding of this.
I might actually get some splitter cables and try it out with my current amp, if there is no problem then I know it will work OK with Graham's products.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic