FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Is Majestic / Proprius combo for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 8:59am
Am I able to do this in stages? For example, start by using the Arcam as a pre amp feeding a pair of Proprius blocks?
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:07am
Yes, you can. You will find “PRE OUT” terminals on the back of the FMJ. Connect these to the Proprii.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:14am
Personally, if I were doing this exercise myself I'd do it in stages.

I'd start with getting the speakers right - matching them to the room and to my sound preferences. The A**** should be amply good enough for this part as it's mostly about how the directivity and bass interracts with the room. Then I'd borrow the Proprius and convince myself of the SQ uplift over the A**** and its adequate power to drive the speakers to my listening preferences. Then I'd borrow the Majestic and convince myself of its SQ gain.

That's just me though.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
Incidentally, on the - very important - point of wanting to site the speakers close(r) to the rear wall, sealed-box designs such as ATC are definitely the way to go, or, as second-best, front-ported. Rear-ported is quite risky in that position.

OP, I'd recommend finding a friendly dealer who'll let you home-demo your choice of speakers. In the shop you'll be able to assess overall tonal balance, quality of cabinetry, that sort of thing, but you won't get any idea of how the bass will interract with your room, without actually hearing it in your room. Ultimately, if the mid or upper bass turns out to be too much, it will swamp the critical midrange, hiding whatever qualities there may be in the upstream electronics.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
Yes that order* would work and was the order I did it FWIW. I had a hifi staple that was rated at 200W rms per channel and was the first person to loan a set of Proprius amps which led to an order days later. I used the big amp as a preamp feeding the Proprius amps before building a passive preamp (aka 'pot in the box') before I saved up for a Majestic DAC/preamp and things really took off.

*speakers that sound right in your room, then better amp and preamp
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:49pm
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post and share their knowledge / experience. Appreciated. It's helped clarify and given me food for thought. Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic