FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains cables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mains cables
    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:12pm
I have just purchased some lapp olflex mains cable to make a 6 gang extension which is going to be hard wired into a consumer unit 
The cable is shielded with a tin/copper braid 
Should it be grounded at both ends ??

paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
I would say so
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by bass man bass man wrote:

I have just purchased some lapp olflex mains cable to make a 6 gang extension which is going to be hard wired into a consumer unit 
The cable is shielded with a tin/copper braid 
Should it be grounded at both ends ??

I would say talk to an electrician. SY and CY cables are not covered by BS7671 aka the 18th Edition.

Irrespective of any benefits that may or may not be achieved by screening a supply cable it reads like you’re going to make a “flying lead” direct from your consumer unit. Again not recognised under BS7671.

Careful you don’t invalidate your house and contents insurance like the berks who remove or bypass plug top fuses.

To the question of screening its supply end only. If you’re hoping to attenuate high frequency noise by screening a power cable you’ll be disappointed. Low impedance ground plane bonding between the components is the key to that.

If you can hear a difference knock yourself out, I’m not getting into an argument about mains cables. Get a 6mm twin and earth and terminate it at a wall mounted socket is my advice (as a qualified electrician).

Edited by Ernie - 17 Apr 2021 at 12:05am
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:13am
Thanks for the advice ernie 
I have a seperate consumer unit in my log cabin with 3 rcd im using one for lighting and 1 for sockets so the spare will just be for audio 
What size breaker would you recommend 
Cheers
paul
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:39am
It’s a radial circuit so 15A. What size is the Olflex cable? What size is the supply cable and earth to the cabin and how far away from the house consumer unit is it, i.e. how long is the cable run from consumer unit to your cabin?

Also is it a steel wire armoured and is it 3core, live, neutral and earth or are you using the armour as the earth connection?

What Olflex have you got? SY (clear jacket with silver braid) or CY (grey outer jacket copper braid)?

Seriously though screened cable is for industrial applications where enough separation between between dirty (frequency drives and inductive load switching) supplies and clean (supplies from fuse boards) cannot be achieved. It goes between the frequency drive and the inductive load to help stop RF affecting neighbouring cables.

SY isn’t screen btw it just affords light mechanical protection.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:57pm
Yes used armoured cable about 10m in length
The lapp cable has 2.5mm conductors its the cy
I haven't grounded armour as its buried under my lawn 
I will only be using about 0.5m of the lapp cable to the block 

paul
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:54am
The way I would have made off a SWA (before I became unqualified)

Edited by Graham Slee - 18 Apr 2021 at 10:57am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic