FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

new owner of old gram amp 2 + psu1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
davidismynaim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidismynaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new owner of old gram amp 2 + psu1
    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:19am
Hi all

I have just acquired a fairly old gram amp2 and psu1. The MM unit is in a plastic box.

See photos.

My question is, are these units considered comparable with the latest GA2 design, is there any simple upgrades etc. I have yet to set this up and listen, as my music system is not available to me right now. 

PSu1:

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:28am
Ah, the things I had to do back in the early days.

I had advanced considerably from my £60 a week, six-month government start-up grant by the time I built what's pictured. The early ones were made on stripboard!

I built them in batches of twelve over a two-day period, and it often turned out that I'd be putting the stickers on the lids around midnight on the second day. The production facility was an old concrete garage and my kitchen table (for the finishing touches).

The shoestring budget meant not having things like posh-looking enclosures, so I had to muster a bit of ingenuity. Dig that single-gang socket back box!

Guessing the year, I'd say 2001. 20 years-on, eh? And look how things are today! 

The Gram Amp circuit existed as shown until the latest enclosure, but the board layout changed a few times. The new circuit has similarities with the Genera kit (see Phono Preamp Project).

The PSU1 changed in 2005 because I wanted a safety approval to prove CE compliance, rather than the usual self-certification. It later changed again when I had the transformer manufacturer put in a resettable thermal fuse, making it "sealed for life." Oh, the other thing was making the DC cord detachable.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
davidismynaim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidismynaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:46am
Thank you Graham, wonderful to get a reply from the designer! Does seem things have come on well over the years from humble beginnings, many congratulations! Good news for me, is this design seems to have served you well and should still work well for me. I look forward to trying it. Thank you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic