FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455
Author
beancounter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beancounter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 10:57am
It's a good player but it's 10 years old now. Conversely my Proprius amps and Harbeth speakers are newly acquired and far more revealing than the previous Arcam/B&W combination.

I was considering adding the Majestic to the set up for its DAC alone (i.e. using the Roksan as transport only) but the outlay seems too great for just a change of DAC.

I may just get used to it. On many recordings it sounds wonderful but it's brutally revealing of a poor recording, of which there seem to be rather a lot, depressingly.

Proprius
Libran
Spatia
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 11:23am
Originally posted by beancounter beancounter wrote:

I was considering adding the Majestic to the set up for its DAC alone (i.e. using the Roksan as transport only) but the outlay seems too great for just a change of DAC.

I may just get used to it. On many recordings it sounds wonderful but it's brutally revealing of a poor recording, of which there seem to be rather a lot, depressingly.

Rega use to do a DAC which if they still sold it I would have gone for that. The trouble with buying a DACs is getting to try one out for me (this is why GSs loaner program is so good) this maybe the case for you too. On another forum I was getting advice on Chinese DACs, you know the ones that you buy direct from China, the trouble with this is if you have problems with it, it can or will be a problem and could cost you money.

I agree with you on (poor recording, of which there seem to be rather a lot, depressingly) especially live recordings, I had one recently which I sent back, the good thing was the seller agreed with me and took it off his website.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
beancounter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beancounter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 12:11pm
It is slightly frustrating that GS doesn't make the product I want. The Bitzie isn't suitable unfortunately and the Majestic is too expensive for what I need (i.e. only the DAC).

I wish John would knock me up a DAC-only Majestic but he hasn't offered!

Proprius
Libran
Spatia
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 2:17pm
I was talking last night in the pub to my mate about my new CD player when this other bloke said "you bought a new player why" I said because I wanted a more anlogue sound he replied you still buy CDs and I said yes, he said I ripped all my CDs to my NAS drive and got rid of them, I download or stream music now, but he did admit there are albums I can't get and sometimes I wish I still had a CD player. My mate said him, that's the trouble with downloading and streaming there is music out there that you will never get on them. My mate still has his player but only uses it to rip CDs to his NAS drive. He always telling me it's the way forward, but your too old fashion for it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Which cd player did you have before this one?

Audiolab 8300CD. Don't get me wrong it sounded good but I wanted a warmer sound. To me it was a bit harsh at the top end, especially with headphones on.

I find that too with my player, a Roksan Caspian M2. Not sure where to go with it.

Thanks for your info.

I have just been reading up on the new rega Saturn MK3, it maybe something to put on your shortlist.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455
  Share Topic