FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Passive preamplifier with GS phono

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Hi,
  I’m driving Proprius amps direct from my Accession in an all vinyl system. However, when I want to add more sources (parties, family gatherings and the like), I use an English made passive preamp by Townshend. It gives plenty of level from digital in the 11-1 o’clock positions. For vinyl I move to 12-3 o’clock on the volume, but I use a .25mV cartridge, the Rega Apheta 2. It sounds great.
Mick.

Hello Mick
Interesting! Is there any reason you don't keep the Townshend permanently connected?
I am thinking about an autoformer based passive with dual volume control because of age-related hearing imbalance, poor room treatment, old LP's with groove wear etc.

I did wonder if i had enough gain, your post suggests i do as with Accession M directly connected to my amps i have the Accession volume between 12 and 1 o'clock.
For cartridges I use an MM Goldring 1042 (6.5mV) and an MI Decca Super Gold (5mV).

Cheers!
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 4:42am
Hi Paul,
   The twin outputs on the Accession drive my Proprii and Solo ULDE headphone amp and really do sound tremendous. It’s a simple set up that serves me well. The Townshend does have two pre-outs as well, but then all I’ve done is double up on a volume control and two pre-outs. If I had a system with more sources I could see the point for functionality. When I add the Townshend it does sound different. Seemingly a more open sound with greater bass extension, but I lose some tonal density - some meat on the bones as it were. Not better or worse, just different. I much prefer the lack of clutter of one less box and fewer cables, as well as the extra tonal density, something I think LP does better than digital.

I will say be careful with passive preamps though, as others I’ve heard tend to sound “squishy” at low volumes and quite hard at upper volumes. Impedance mismatches I assume? The Townshend one doesn’t do this. But you know, it’s not a consideration running the Accession MC as preamp. It just works. All the time. 

I also don’t need to worry about channel balance, as each Proprius has its own volume control. Indeed, I run the right channel slightly lower in level to compensate for the room I’m in. 

Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 5:09am
Hello Mick

Thank you.
I will do some output voltage checks today for minimum, normal and maximum output based on my listening volume, i will also check the fixed output. All questions i am being asked to determine if i need different taper to the standard unit.

I am positive i have more than enough gain which was a major question.

Cheers, Paul
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:27pm
I agree with the comments above. I've yet to make my new passive switching unit but plan to include a resistor on each channel of the 'hotter' inputs like my CDP.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 4:15am
I plan to use the TVC for LP's only, ignoring mice. 
I see reviews stating improved bass but will think about adding outputs for bi-amping.
No Music, No Life!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic