FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Not what I'd expected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not what I'd expected
    Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:20am
Noting the various comments posted here, I ordered a PSU-1 for my Revelation M, having bought it with only the basic power unit. It arrived at the end of last week (thanks John!).

Before playing any music I thought I'd compare the volume at which background fizz becomes audible through the speakers, so in scientific manner pressed an ear the grille. It seemed to occur at a point when the volume control is set -4dB higher than when the Revelation M is powered by the basic power unit. A good sign, thought I.

Returning my Pre-amp's volume to -60dB, my starting point for records, I cued Berlin's Love Life. Having played it a couple of days before after a break, I'd thought it a little dull around the edges. I'd barely reached the sofa before being pinned to the back of it...the lower noise floor had been translated into volume - not sure how that works!

However, having settled to a comfortable listening volume, two sides of Berlin (not dull about the edges at all) followed by some Blancmange and Yumi Matsutoya, it was very apparent that there was more to this than volume. I don't want to sound as though I've been reading too much magazine review jargon, but there was a fuller sound from top to bottom, with increased instrumental separation which was quite audible. This wasn't upgrade expectation, as my wife commented to me about it sounding 'different' from two floors upstairs. I've had one more listening session this week, but unfortunately other things have got in the way, as they do.

What had I expected? Well, I suppose a more subtle version of what I heard. The PSU-1 costs about the same as a replacement stylus for my Goldring 1012GX, so as an upgrade I'm very pleased that I bought it (better late than never). Big smile

Edited by TheScorpionsTale - 19 Feb 2021 at 2:21am
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 5:33pm
A good summary of the benefits of the PSU-1 Graham!

I had a similar experience with a Solo headphone amp a while ago now. Going back to the "green" PS, the dynamics decreased and the soundstage narrowed. (I'd had the PSU-1 come with a loaner phono amp and thought i'd try it on the Solo. Needless to say all my kit now has PSU-1s!).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 10:21pm
I have asked JC to let me audition an Enigma PS which I will use with my Majestic and the Accession M that I’m also hoping to audition.

Having recently, and hesitatingly, splashed out on a new Nagaoka MP500 I am very pleased that I did. The improvement over my previous AT440MLa has really surprised me.

At my age I hesitate to try and improve my system but there may be a time when I can do little else than listen to music. So as long as I can justify the cost I will try to wrest the best musical presentation possible.

Tea for the Tillerman is sounding really good right now.

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic