FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Pioneer PL-550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbiesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbiesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pioneer PL-550
    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm
Does anyone currently have or has had past experience with this table and can recommend some MM carts that are well matched to the arm?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Robbie

Edited by Robbiesd - 01 Feb 2021 at 3:47pm
Beard P-100; Musical Fidelity A308-CR; Aesthetix Rhea; DIY Lenco 75/PTP6/Graham B44/Lyra Helicon & Decca London Super Gold / Mission 774 Original/ Grace F9R; OPPO 105; Legacy Audio Signature III
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 5:46pm
That is a gap in my knowledge. I suspect you already be familiar with Vinyl Engine but if not it may be helpful as it hosts a lot of information about turntables and useful tools for arm mass/compliance etc.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Robbiesd Robbiesd wrote:

Does anyone currently have or has had past experience with this table and can recommend some MM carts that are well matched to the arm?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Robbie

Robbie, is this your turntable? 

What is your budget for an MM cartridge? What are you using now? What kind of condition are your records in? 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Robbiesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robbiesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:34pm
Yes, that's the table I'm referring to.  I'm trying to help a friend who just picked on of these up, not much on VE.  His budget is up to about $1000 US for a cart.  He has an Era Gold Preamp. His other table has a Signet TK3 in it.  He has a mixture of old and new records, mostly in good condition.

Edited by Robbiesd - 02 Feb 2021 at 6:35pm
Beard P-100; Musical Fidelity A308-CR; Aesthetix Rhea; DIY Lenco 75/PTP6/Graham B44/Lyra Helicon & Decca London Super Gold / Mission 774 Original/ Grace F9R; OPPO 105; Legacy Audio Signature III
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:43pm

Yes, that's the table I'm referring to.  I'm trying to help a friend who just picked on of these up, not much on VE.  His budget is up to about $1000 US for a cart.  He has an Era Gold Preamp. His other table has a Signet TK3 in it.  He has a mixture of old and new records, mostly in good condition.

Gotcha, unfortunately the manuals for this TT are not much help. The effective mass is not listed in the service manual or anywhere else it seems. And the cart that it was originally sold with is not a lot of help either, because it's probably a discontinued model, and the compliance specs are Japanese style which don't work with Western style compliance calculators. 

What I would do is stick with cartridges that have 20 CU Western style compliance or less, to be on the safe side. A cart like that is going to work with a lot of 70s Japanese medium mass type arms. 

If he knows he likes the Signet carts, those were basically fancy type ATs, so maybe he could consider an AT cart? 

I really like the VM95 series on Japanese medium mass arms. The suspension is a bit stiffer than the VM500/700 series. 

These VM500/700 (around 23 CU western style) are really designed for light-ish arms though they work fine on a lot of medium mass arms as well. Same deal with Ortofon 2M series. 

I think the Goldring 1000 series are probably going to be a pretty good match as well. Back when I ran a 70s JVC turntable as my main deck, I found the 1042 worked pretty well on the JVC medium mass arm. 

Lots of other options I'm sure...my 2 cents. 

Edited by patientot - 02 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Robbiesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbiesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:33pm
Thank you for those suggestions, I'll pass them along to him.

Yes, not much help at VE, hence my post. I see you have a Stanton 680.  When I had a Dual 1219 I ran a 681EEE w/Jico Shibata stylus thru an Accession. It was a nice setup.  Kinda wish I still had it.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:36pm

Thank you for those suggestions, I'll pass them along to him.

Yes, not much help at VE, hence my post. I see you have a Stanton 680.  When I had a Dual 1219 I ran a 681EEE w/Jico Shibata stylus thru an Accession. It was a nice setup.  Kinda wish I still had it.

I had a Jico Shibata for that cart too for awhile. Then I had it retipped and the suspension redone on the original stylus. It's now kind of a "frankencart" version of the stiff suspension 680SL. I haven't really been using it lately but will get back around to it eventually. I have some more loading experimentation to do with it and need to get a heavier headshell to go with it for my current turntable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic