FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Genera Preamp kit experience -- Yay!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brucetwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brucetwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genera Preamp kit experience -- Yay!
    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 6:03am
As someone who built a number of heathkits, dynakits etc. back in the 70's, now that I'm looking to get back into vinyl I was looking for a phono preamp kit to assemble.  

I was especially impressed with Graham's description of his design techniques and process in the forum.  That, and the experience of building a kit once again tipped the scale, so I purchased the Genera kit -- and was quite impressed.  Everything came well packaged, good quality parts, nice simple case, nice hardware, nothing missing.  It was as easy as any heathkit.  I measured all the passives with my Fluke meter, and they were all correct. I was surprised that it was just a single sided PCB, but the layout was clean (only one jumper), and went together easily.

I'm playing it with a super simple system, AT-LP-120-USB Turntable, AT-VM95SH/H cartridge, Slee Genera Preamp, Schiit Magni 3+ headphone amp, Grado SR125e cans.  It sounds awesome.  Quiet, detailed, high resolution but still very smooth -- no noticeable hiss or hum.

If you like building kits, give it a try!  Fun to build, better to listen to.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic