FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex C v Rega Aria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Benogden83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benogden83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex C v Rega Aria
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:03pm
Hi 

All just doing a home demo on a GS Reflex C. My current set up although relatively new is

Rega P8 with ania pro cartridge
Rega Aria
Naim Nait 5si
Spendor A2

Previous to this I had a P3 with Ortofon 2m bronze. I got the home demo on graham slee as I have issues with the aria I find the drums are very forward in the sounstage and I find it hard to focus on the music . I had similar issues when I tried a rega elex-r.  The aria did some things better such as lots more detail than the reflex c but those damn overpowering drums was sending me wild.. I find the reflex c much smoother to listen to.  My question is there anything that would give me the detail of the aria what same sound as the reflex c.  Also does anyone know the key differences between aria and reflex c that makes them sound so different

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Benogden83 Benogden83 wrote:

My question is there anything that would give me the detail of the aria what same sound as the reflex c.  Also does anyone know the key differences between aria and reflex c that makes them sound so different

I'm going to guess that the Rega design uses a very different circuit from a G.S. phono preamp. 

As for what to try, the top G.S. model for MC is the Accession MC. You could try that. 

Edited by patientot - 21 Jan 2021 at 9:08pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Benogden83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benogden83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:14pm
OK thanks. Maybe the sound will come out more when it's run in a bit more as only been on for 6 hours or so
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
They need to be warm, and left powered up.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:02am
Agreed, six hours is three days too little. My experience with the Aria was that it sounds really detailed by throwing the midrange and treble at you very strongly. Once the Reflex settles in I dare say you’ll hear all of the detail if you look for it, but it’s presented in a far more balanced fashion instead of sticking out. This is why I don’t like blind testing, A/B testing, or short review times - with all components you’ve got to live with them a while to start to appreciate what they do well. 
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic