FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgrade time (scary)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chris.c1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris.c1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade time (scary)
    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:05pm
Hi everyone, there comes a time in every music fans life when there cherished system just doesn't cut it anymore. 
In my case I've always been a fan of a certain Scottish manufacturers products, recently though my pre- amp went on the blink, (and an upgrade of there stuff is now way out of my price range) ! Being nearly 30 years old it still had Phono inputs (mm and mc ) and I was using it with a mc cartridge on the turntable . I only have vinyl and CD .
Having spent the last couple of months looking at as much stuff on line as I could , I've basically settled on graham slee as my preferred option for the  Phono amp, my problem is I need to replace the pre amp and the Phono amp so what would people recommend as the best value combination for a m.c setup ? My musical taste is pretty eclectic , but mostly prof and classic rock.

Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Chris.c1965 Chris.c1965 wrote:

Hi everyone, there comes a time in every music fans life when there cherished system just doesn't cut it anymore. 
In my case I've always been a fan of a certain Scottish manufacturers products, recently though my pre- amp went on the blink, (and an upgrade of there stuff is now way out of my price range) ! Being nearly 30 years old it still had Phono inputs (mm and mc ) and I was using it with a mc cartridge on the turntable . I only have vinyl and CD .
Having spent the last couple of months looking at as much stuff on line as I could , I've basically settled on graham slee as my preferred option for the  Phono amp, my problem is I need to replace the pre amp and the Phono amp so what would people recommend as the best value combination for a m.c setup ? My musical taste is pretty eclectic , but mostly prof and classic rock.

Hi Chris,
So you have a power amp still at your disposal. If it was just the turntable an Accession has a variable output that would feed it directly. Can you live without CD until further funds allow? Does the CD have a digital out?

What’s your budget btw?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Chris.c1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris.c1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:02pm
Hi Ernie yes the current system is bi amped with active speakers.
As to budget,  I was hoping for around £2000 but there might be a bit more available  if needed, the CD has a digital output and yes really need the CD as my Mrs uses that on a regular basis and I value certain parts of my anatomy  lol...
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:45pm
OK Chris,
You’re pretty much in the same situation as I was a few years ago. I prioritise vinyl and bought an Era V and a pot in a box passive pre amp so I could swap between turntable and CD.

The Era V was excellent and off the back of that bought a Majestic DAC and then Proprius amps. The Majestic has a phono input for your turntable.

With your budget I’d look at a Majestic and a Gram Amp or Era V. If budget can stretch Reflex or Accession.

Try before you buy with the loan scheme.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:51pm
Sorry Chris,
You’re on MC aren’t you. Fanfare or Reflex C
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:26pm
I too would go with Majestic and Reflex C, budget permitting, or the Fanfare. I ran a Fanfare for quite a few years with my older Ortofon MCs and found it very pleasing.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:32pm
I don't use MC carts but it seems like the Fanfare plus Majestic combo would meet your needs and budget. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic