FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elevator moving coil cartridge choice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robinje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevator moving coil cartridge choice?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 5:36am

I have a new Elevator EXP and a Reflex (on the way).  I intend to pursue the world of low-output moving coil cartidges.  I am curious as to which models other forum members are using successfully with the Elevator/Reflex combo.   So far, I am considering the Dynavector Karat 17D3 and Ortofon Kontrapunkt B.  I am certainly open to other suggestions, so long as the price is at this level or somewhat below (~$1K USD).  Any recommendations? 

Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 10:03pm
I would say the Dynavector 17D3 is the best choice. For $950 USD, you get a cartridge with a Micro-Ridge stylus and a diamond cantilever. A diamond cantilever does not have high-frequency resonance problems that plague metal cantilevers. This gives smoother high frequency reproduction, without any sharpness or metallic ringing. Plus, the diamond cantilever in the 17D3 is only 1.7 mm long, compared to the boron cantilevers of other high-end cartridges, which are usually 6 mm long. A shorter cantilever reduces energy loss and you get better dynamics. The greatest advantage of the 17D3 is the ruler-flat frequency response in the audible range, plus a frequency range that extends all the way up to 100 kHz.

And according to Dynavector, the 17D3 delivers "...crystal clear mid-range and treble even during the largest symphonic crescendos". I can not think of anything more to ask for in a cartridge.

Edited by Analog Kid - 04 Jun 2009 at 10:05pm
robinje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 10:47pm
Thanks, Analog Kid.  You've laid out a pretty convincing argument for the 17D3.  The specs and design features sure are appealing.  Just a note regarding cantilevers, the Kontrapunkt B's cantilever is made of ruby, although it is not short like the 17D3's diamond.  I did notice that the 17D3's output is on the lower end of the scale at 0.3mV.  I am assuming this is no problem at all for the Elevator/Reflex combo, as I think the total available gain would be around 65dB.   That should be sufficient gain for just about any moving coil cartridge on the market today, especially considering the low inherent noise from the Elevator/Reflex units, correct?
Originally posted by Analog Kid Analog Kid wrote:

I would say the Dynavector 17D3 is the best choice. For $950 USD, you get a cartridge with a Micro-Ridge stylus and a diamond cantilever. A diamond cantilever does not have high-frequency resonance problems that plague metal cantilevers. This gives smoother high frequency reproduction, without any sharpness or metallic ringing. Plus, the diamond cantilever in the 17D3 is only 1.7 mm long, compared to the boron cantilevers of other high-end cartridges, which are usually 6 mm long. A shorter cantilever reduces energy loss and you get better dynamics. The greatest advantage of the 17D3 is the ruler-flat frequency response in the audible range, plus a frequency range that extends all the way up to 100 kHz.

And according to Dynavector, the 17D3 delivers "...crystal clear mid-range and treble even during the largest symphonic crescendos". I can not think of anything more to ask for in a cartridge.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 3:16am

Robin,

IMO cartridges are probably the most characterful devices in a system, perhaps on par with speakers.

Choice, to me, will depend on many things, what sort of presentation is preferred, what sort of music is the mainly played, strengths (or not) of the rest of the playback system, capabilities/limitations of the arm/table combination (eg matching compliance with arm effective mass).

That said and without further info on which to work, there are a couple of standout values at prices considerably less.
One is the Denon DL-301 II @ around $US300, another receiving very good "press" ATM is the Japan only AT-33PTG which can be found online for $US370, the superior version of the AT-33PTG, the AT-33EV can be had for $US500 and the AT-OC9MLII is a steal @ $US340.
None of these cartridges are particularly hard to match to arms WRT compliance and should give outstanding performance with most quality medium mass arms, none of them have ultra low output and will match well with the Reflex/Exp combination.
The AT-33EV will likely be my next cartridge (I currently run the DL-301 II).
Other cartridges closer to your price that I have seriously considered are the Decca Jubilee Gold, the ZYX100R-2 and the Shelter 501.

I upgraded from a Denon DL-103 for the increased treble refinement, most noticeably on orchestral works. At that time I was using a relatively inexpensive step-up transformer into the Reflex, when I received my Exp I briefly revisited the DL-103 and was amazed to discover that things I had put down to limitations in the cartridge, were, in fact, limitations of the step-up transformer, in short, I had not heard all that that cartridge was capable of.
I will in future be revisiting that cartridge for a more lengthy evaluation, it is an outstandingly musical cartridge with a very engaging performance on many types of music at a giveaway price.
That said, it is harder to match properly to arm and table due to its much lower compliance, on my table it requires additional mass to perform optimally (as also on many medium mass arms) - in confirmation of this, the addition of significant extra mass is part of the operation performed on this cartridge by Zuaudio in producing their "hotrod" version, by all accounts a very good sounding cartridge too.

None of this is intended to take anything away from your two selections, both of which have very solid recommendation and I am sure they will not disappoint, more to broaden the range of choices without extending your budget. I do, of course, have no idea of your previous exposure to various cartridges or of your particular preferences WRT presentation.

Much musical pleasure awaits you, enjoy.

robinje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 2:04pm
Thanks for the lower cost recommendations!  I'll certainly check them out.  BTW - my turntable is a SOTA Nova Mk. V (vacuum system) and my tonearm is an Origin Live Encounter Mk. III (14.5g effective mass).  I typically use the "Cartridge Database" online resonance frequency calculator to estimate compatability of various potential cartridges.  My experience in real life shows that it is pretty accurate, verifying with the HiFi News test record.  Luckily, my tonearm is suitable for a wide range of cartridges, so the word is wide open!  I have been drawn to the 17D3 and Kontrapunkt B because of their specs, reviews, interesting/unique  features, and the fact that they both have been around a while and appear to be universally respected as fine performers.  Not of least importance, they fit my budget!  FYI - My listening tastes generally are more toward the 'rock' end of the music spectrum (Yes, Pixies, Rush, Led Zeppelin, etc.), but I do go for other genres (even acoustic folk music) on occasion.  I favor detailed presentation, airy treble extension, and dynamics, although I do very much appreciate an even tonal balance.  My desire is for a really nice 'all-around' cartridge that sounds great with all types of music and is not extreme in any one area.  Maybe that's asking too much!
robinje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 6:45am
I got a great deal on a Kontrapunkt B, so I ordered one.  Yes, it is still more expensive than some of the other appealing options presented in this thread.  But, I am not always one who uses a great deal of common sense and logic when it comes to spending money.  Oh, well...  you only live once!  Really, though, I think the new cartridge will sound great through the Elevator/Reflex combination.  I also have an Ortofon 2M Black, which I do indeed like a lot.  My satisfaction with that cartridge is partially why I decided to stick with the Ortofon brand when selecting a moving coil unit.  Now I will be able to compare a 2M Black through the Reflex alone to a Kontrapunkt B through the Elevator/Reflex combination.  It will be interesting to observe the differences.  I'll try to remember to post my impressions here once I have some exended listening time.  Thanks for reading...  Smile
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 6:30am

Hard to resist a "good deal" on something you really want isn't it Wink

Do come back and let us know how you like the KB.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic