FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The long and short of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 8:25pm
In my opinion cable length is less of an issue with good cables.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

For connecting Majestic to Proprius, I was led to believe that Lautus-R3 1.5m is probably the optimum interconnect. It is the minimum length required for the EMI-suppressive ferrites and uses the anti-phase signal only (unbalanced) rather than either the standard phase or both phases together (balanced). The anti-phase (R3) alone does not carry forward common mode distortion whereas the other two options do. So in theory, it seems this interconnect would provide the purest output. The benefits of using anti-phase plus ferrites should offset the surplus length of 1.5m.

CuSat50-R3 of any length uses the anti-phase but has no ferrites. Libran of any length uses both phases (so carries forward common mode distortion) and also has no ferrites. So even ultra-short lengths of either of these interconnects is unlikely to offset no ferrite EMI-suppression and carrying forward common mode distortion on the standard phase of the Libran.

Whether you could actually hear a difference in purity between the cable choices in another matter entirely. You'd need to optimise the rest of the system before being able to hear any difference at all probably.

For balanced connections between the Majestic and Proprius, reading the the "Lautus page" on this website recommends to use the Libran cables for balanced connections. Of course, you could always make use of the loan scheme and see which you prefer?

Unless you placed a special order on the Majestic (Variable line output on the RCA connectors), it makes more sense to me to use the TRS balanced outputs, using a balanced cable to the balanced input on the Proprius?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 2:21pm
Both of the Majestic I have have the optional variable level line-outs but I prefer to use the TRS outputs for the anti-phase connectivity.

For professional applications and/or really long cable runs of many meters or more, it is generally accepted that balanced interconnects (therefore Libran) is the best solution. Also, the Lautus is somewhat an "experimental" product whose benefits were deemed to be falsely advertised pseudoscience (by Advertising Standards Agency), hence why much of the explanatory theory on the product page had to be removed. I'm willing to trust the logic/calculation behind ferrite placement within the sheath however.

If I had wanted the shortest cables possible, I may have selected CuSat50-R3 over the Libran, for reasons explained before but it's a close call. My current Lautus-R3 allows flexibility for equipment positioning.

As for Spatia length, unless it's very very long (many meters), I doubt there would be any audible difference. It's shielded and the magnitude of the signal is much higher than line-level so far less susceptible to EMI, in my opinion.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 8:34pm
Using short speaker cables generally means long signal cables. I agree with Kevin that balanced is better on long runs.  I use balanced cables like the Librans from Majestic to Proprius, 2 and 5:metres respectively.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic