FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

ULDE + Accession MC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ULDE + Accession MC
    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:32am
Dear All,
   I'm a teacher working away at remote learning in Australia. Two hour block of marking assignments for me, so I thought it'd be okay to pop my headphones on an spin a record of three while I worked. Huge mistake. Getting nothing done because I'm far too distracted by music.

Spinning Dexter Gordon's "GO" stopped me in my tracks. Why?

1. the authenticity of Gordon's timbre on "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" was stunning, but more importantly I could hear exactly what he was doing to change it throughout a phrase. 
2. The drum set sounded at once explosive and subtle. During the drum solo in "Second Balcony Jump" the range of dynamic shading available was excellent, not to mention how much louder the solo was compared to the rest of his playing.
3. The pitch coherence of the double bass - easily transcribable and very articulate. Golden era jazz recordings often suffer from one note bass, or ill-defined articulation, but I've not heard it sound so clear before.
4. Dynamics in general, both macro and micro, are incredibly obvious. This is one area where I feel like the Accession pulls ahead of the Reflex M. 
5. The recording studio space is really well defined, and you can hear the sound bouncing off studio walls. Another quality the Accession has an advantage over the Reflex M.

I've heard my headphones through other amps, and none has given the mix of detail and musical insight as the Solo. I've not heard the amps at twice the price, but I'm not tempted to, either. As for the Accession MC, I'm glad I bought one. It shows enough above and beyond the Reflex M/Elevator EXP to be worth the extra cost, I think. 

So, thanks, Graham, now I'm behind in my work!
(But really happy about it.)
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic