FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 and Furman Power Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSU1 and Furman Power Conditioner
    Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:18am
A question to the wise: would there be any benefit gained by powering my PSU1 from my Furman power conditioner? We have regular power outages here in South Africa and I'm wondering if this might provide a further level of protection against surges and other nasties.

I'd use this:

From this:

Edited by capetownwatches - 11 Sep 2020 at 9:20am
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:01pm
Hi Arie
Does the Ferman have surge protection circuity in it? This may be a stupid question but I had to ask
I have a mains conditioner and that does I say if it does then go for it (better save than sorry).
As for benefits, sonic wise I found nothing good or bad ( just tested it out last weekend with it and with out). so Cons nothing - pros Look at the money you could save in damaged HiFi
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:19pm
Hi Jon, thanks for your reply. Yes, the Furman has serious surge protection circuitry. I'm not concerned about sound quality improvements here (I doubt very much if the PSU1 will benefit from "clean power"), rather protecting my precious Solo from spikes, brown-outs and the like.

I wonder if the PSU1 by itself affords any sort of protection against these nasties? I currently have it plugged in to a decent power strip that provides surge protection but this can only go so far. The Furman takes it to another level entirely.

As an aside, I power my Audio-gd NFB11.32 from the Furman and there is no doubt (to my ears) that this has paid sound quality dividends. The Furman does a good job of getting rid of RFI and EMI along with linear filtering and this translates to me hearing the music with better definition/decay of notes and better details. Highly recommended for any head-fi rig.

Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
My mains conditioner did not cost a lot I think it was only £30 so I was not expecting it to make a lot of sound improvements I got it  mainly for the surge protection. I could have got away with s-p plugged into the wall socket but I would not have the 6 way plug sockets I need for my HiFi.
As for the PSU1 it's for cleaning up the power current only (I think) not any protection.
Is the power supply that bad in South Africa you need 2 surge protections?. Here in England it's OK. But saying that a town not far from me two weeks ago, we had a bad thunder and lighting storm and there lighting did a lot of damage so we can't be too careful. I bet some of them wished they had S-P. My mate had his sky box damaged so now he has surge protection. He said to me I know it's a bit late now but you live and learn  
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic