FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MM Cartridge Update - Some questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

Hi all, it’s been a while! 

I’m planning to purchase a new stylus soon, to replace my existing AT ML440a which I have been quite happy with. Without spending a fortune any recommendations for an upgrade on this stylus (say £400 max).
My system is a modified SL1210M5G with SME 309 tone arm all running through GSP amps and cables into MSPhil’s old Missions.

Many thanks
Les

The easiest thing you can do is buy an AT 540ML stylus. It's almost the same thing and will fit on your existing cartridge body. Basically the 540 is the new version of the 440. You will have to adjust VTF and AS slightly, but other than that it should be quite close. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 10:26pm
scratch that! I’ve managed to wreck my stylus Cry

Didn’t see a small accretion on the second side of A Kind of Blue on the lead in grooves. It looked small to my eyes but to the stylus it must have appeared as a huge concrete wall!

It still plays but only one channel, so it’s not going to be used again.

Been doing some research and am thinking of stretching my budget quite a bit, even considering MC.
Thinking of the Elevator and Goldring Ethos, anyone any thoughts on that combo?

I listen to rock/pop, classical and jazz, the latter being my first choice.

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 10:39pm
Hi Patientot,
Thankyou for the info re AT 540. I may just buy that for now and move to MC a little later on after I sell some surplus items.

I’m sure my system is capable of using a higher performance cartridge and I am just now able to think about moving up, but I would like a bit more time to evaluate options. 

I have cds to listen to but I really want my vinyl back on-line!

Regards
Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic