FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Review. Accession. Propius. Wharfdale 85s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Saulbeat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saulbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review. Accession. Propius. Wharfdale 85s
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 4:57pm
Xerxes original / denon 110 / new enigma power supply /accession / propius / wharfedale 85s heritage) 
Slees products need to warm up.. There is no on /. Off switch, the manual says 'Dont turn it off I' So followed that instruction and tested after 2 days.. 
 I could describe the sonic experience as well balanced in all instruments. Very engaging in all freqencies, has you gunning for more, you try to analyse.. but soon forget yourself in the music. This sonic presentation has you up in your seat.. 
the bass is controlled and sits with subtle punch and clarity, the trebles and mid range all have their own distinct place in the soudscape. It's not particularly wide and luxurious in comparison to a luxman. Or weighty and warm in the the mid range like a pre luna valve. It's sort of in between.. 
The sound is direct, full, gently punchy and rounded with no odd frequencies jumping out even with below par recordings .I listen to 60s-modern jazz / 60s- modern rock / contemporary classical and folk music. 
----
I also Tried the accession on its variable output into 2 audio note zero mono blocks. Driving some budget audio note 1990  AZtwos.. Gorgeous! Warm valve coupled with accession drive and brilliance. The best sound yet from this speaker.. 
---
Re EQ. I Mainly used the riaa switch for LPs - post 60s
I felt a little green when it came to knowing what records or eras I would need in my collection to make proper use of the other EQ switches.. 
--- 
Re propius amps - they had plenty of welly to drive the wharfedale 85s Never felt like the speakers were lacking drive - with plenty of volume to add if I wanted.. (in a room 7mx4m) Their small size is very appealing. They are  not intrusive to a current system. It says you can fix each mono to the back of speaker via screws.. Though i would suggest no nails tape to not devalue a cabinet in case of re sale... I liked using the fixed output of the accession hence I had them visible with volume pots to hand.
I used a cable (RCA out to a balanced in) to connect the accession and propius - worked well.
----
So upon return I was sad to see then go.. They are our of my price range at mo but defo on my radar.. The accession is the best phono stage I have heard in comparison to EWA / quad 24p / naim stageline / leema / mofi.. But then. Its also twice the price! And sounds it too.. :-( I really have to spend this much more to experience the audio nirvana I am seeking..! Howl to the moon..but one day I will have this combo.. My heart is set on it. 

Edited by Saulbeat - 29 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic