New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technical advice needed for streaming to Majestic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technical advice needed for streaming to Majestic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DeadWax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadWax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technical advice needed for streaming to Majestic
    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:01pm
 I have been researching the best way to use Roon with the Majestic.  I stream FLAC and FLAC HD (192khz) files from network storage (actually a Roon Nucleus with internal SSD, but this is mostly irrelevant to this discussion), as well as up to 192khz files from Tidal. I do this with Roon; as far as Roon is concerned I am in deep and there is no turning back (please don’t judge).

Understanding that the only option for me to stream/transport Roon to Majestic DAC at 192khz is to use the SPDIF input, which of course then rules out a vast swathe of streamers which only have USB outputs.

Of note the device must be what is classed as ‘Roon Ready’ in that it has the highest functional integration with Roon and is classed as a RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) ‘end point’.

Similarly it needn’t do any more than just being a streamer or transport (DAC/streamers need not apply).

Further, I am aware that I could go the RPi route via various options, however that is also ruled out here.

Sorting the wheat from the chaff, this actually (and maybe surprisingly) leaves just 2 options, and herein lies my technical question as to which one technically works best with the Majestic.  When I speak about technically best, I am referring to the ability to work seamlessly and flawlessly.  Similarly I am keen to understand whether there are any other reasons, from a technical standpoint, why one of these would work better than the other due to the way they or the Majestic is configured.

The first option is the Lumin U1 Mini which is a highly regarded streaming transport which looks to be able to deal with any and all streaming inputs and output them via SPDIF to the Majestic.

The second option is the Lindemann Limetree Bridge which works slightly differently in that it down/upsamples the input to whatever your DAC can handle.

On paper, and from my lack of technical understanding regarding any compatibility issues with the Majestic, the Limetree surely comes out on top as not only is it substantially cheaper, but also it’s form factor perfectly mirrors my bank of Graham Slee products (Proprius, Majestic, Accession, Novo).  The concern I have is regarding the up/downsampling and it’s effect with the Majestic.

If anyone is able to provide any technical advice as to which will work most effectively with the Majestic (or even better than that, confirm that either one performs flawlessly in my system) then this Graham Slee devotee would be extremely appreciative.

Thank you.

Andy R
Lincoln, UK
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:39pm
Hi Andy 

Quick one regarding the Limetree, I’m assuming you are referring to the network streamer as opposed to the bridge? Either way, the Limetree only does the conversion from PCM to DSD via its internal DAC, if you use the Majestic then that will take the PCM signal directly without any other interruption.
As to alternatives, If you can find an Auralic Aries then that will be a step above the Limetree. Lumin, as you mention or Aurender and Melco are other options.

Regards

Edited by mitch65 - 19 Aug 2020 at 10:43pm
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
DeadWax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadWax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 5:44am
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for your response.  It was the Limetree Bridge that I am referring to (rather than the Network Streamer) as this will enable input via SPDIF coax to the Majestic.
From a technical standpoint, I assume the two would integrate with the Majestic in the same way?
Thanks for the suggestion of the other streaming transports.  I forget exactly why they had been rejected from my shortlist, however I suspect next level price may have been the factor.

Cheers Andy 
Andy R
Lincoln, UK
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 7:25am
ok, I see
For the money either of your choices would be good, I’ve had the limetree streamer and it was very good. I have an Aries mini now which I do prefer to the Limetree but these are not available anymore.
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic