FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Bristol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Symon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Bristol
    Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:35pm
Hello, 
I'll take the chance to introduce myself - and explain why I'm here. I'm Peter and lockdown has meant that I'm working from home sat next to my stereo. But, I can only listen to it through headphones during the working day, which is great. At the start of lockdown I was listening through a pair of Grade SR80s. I've now changed to a more comfortable pair of Sennheiser HD600s. As I'm spending so much time using them I've naturally moved on to wondering how to get the best out of them. My initial thoughts were upgrading the headphone cable. But, I'm persuaded that a headphone amp may a better next step. So, yeah, I'm here for the opportunity to try some stuff out for free! Smile
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 12:25pm
Welcome to our happy little band Peter.
I use HD600s with a Solo ULDE, Majestic and Reflex M. I have been more than happy with the setup for quite a few years. I also stream to the Majestic from a Raspberry Pi for most of my daytime listening.
Just a thought, you don't mention your primary listening source. If it's primarily digital a Bitzie would be worth trying. Almost all of the merits of the Majestic and Solo in one compact box, upgradeable by the addition of an outboard power supply rather than USB power should you wish.
The unique loan scheme is a great opportunity to find out what suits you.
Be sure to let us know how you get on with whatever you choose to listen to.

Happy Auditioning
Ian

Edited by BackinBlack - 16 Jun 2020 at 12:26pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 2:29pm
Hi Peter
I will say a headphone amp is the way to go as I don't think cables will give you much in the way of better sound quality. I have HD600s listening through a GS solo headphone amp with PSU1 power supply and it is vary good. also I have read in a well known HiFi mag a review on the Solo with out the PSU1 using headphones costing £1900 and they gave it a glowing report, so you also have room when or if you wont to improve on your headphones. you also have the PSU1 upgrade if funds are not there at moment.
But as Ian said if you listening is digital the Bitzie would be the way to go ( if you are listening through a computer or a personnel stereo) Well that's just my take on it any way!
Good luck on your quest
 Jonathan

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:49pm
Welcome. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Symon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 10:12pm
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice.
I listen to vinyl and CDs, and occasionally to music on my iPhone through my CD player. So, for headphone listening, my primary source is the CD Player (a Denon) and I plug straight into this. For listening on speakers, I have a Monarchy DAC that feeds into a valve amp. 
So, not primarily digital. I don't think I want to listen to vinyl through headphones - but I could change my mind on that. I'm thinking a Solo SRGII is worth a try. I think the ULDE is just a bot out of my price range. I need to give John C a ring to sort out a loan - just need five minutes in the day to remember to do it and have the headspace to call him. 

I listen to a range of music, too. Lots of folk, plus rock, jazz, prog, whatever takes my fancy and sounds good. 
Peter
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:24pm
Hi Peter,
Just in case you haven't noticed the SRGII has 2 inputs, so providing that your Denon and Valve pre-amp or phono stage have accessible line outputs you can configure your system to listen to each source without changing cables etc..

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Symon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:56pm
Thanks Ian. 
I hadn’t noticed that, but it’s good to know. My Denon feeds into a DAC before it gets to the amp, and the tt goes through a phonostage. So, yes, I could hook both up. 
I’ve got a Solo SRGII on its way. I’m very much looking forward to hearing what it can do. 
Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic