FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Damaged optical port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged optical port
    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 10:50pm
The optical S/PDIF output on my new PC is damaged. I have requested a new motherboard from the company I bought it from. In case they are not willing to send another out unless I return this one, I would just like to ask whether John C is able to replace/repair the optical port for a charge if sent the motherboard? As he solders them on Bitzies/Majestics, he would be familiar with the task. I would understand it would be "low priority" but would be grateful if you were able to assist if needed.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm
Would this be a simple job for a PC repair shop? I'm not shipping the product back to China.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 9:16pm
Why don't you give John C a call?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:19pm
Okay, I will contact him. Thanks.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:43pm
I dismantled the mini PC and have isolated the motherboard. The optical emitter is soldered absolutely fine; it is its housing that is loose. I might need to glue it down on the PCB to brace it so it doesn't move back when I try to plug in the cable. The little door springs aren't broken, the door is catching on something in the port so I need to work out what and fix it. Then the PCB needs a clean and the CPU needs new thermal compound, which should improve heat dissipation. Other than that, a very nice single board computer. I think it's even smaller than mini-ITX size.

Q. What can I use to clean PCB surfaces, apart from isopropyl alcohol?

Edited by Ash - 15 Jun 2020 at 5:44pm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:26pm
I use this: https://cpc.farnell.com/ambersil/6130004010/pcb-cleaner-400ml/dp/SA02311
Good for cleaning other things too.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 9:29pm
I seem to have fixed the flip door and I have attempted to glue the optical housing down. We'll see if it holds... New thermal paste added and board wiped down a bit. Back together and working. Wow, for the first time in my life, I might have successfully fixed something with DIY. Miracles do happen.

Shall try the Toslink with the Majestic soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic