FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgrade from Rega Fono....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade from Rega Fono....
    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:57pm
Hi All

Currently running Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 HOMC into Rega Fono/Elex-R/Ela Mk2s. V. happy with sound, but suspect could do even better - and increasingly frustrated by lack of mono switch on Fono for my increasing stock of vintage + reissue mono vinyl. Like the idea of switching to GS MM phono stage. Questions:

1) Do I go for Era Gold V + mono switch (pricewise, easiest upgrade from the Fono)? Or the Reflex M + mono switch? Or go whole hog and punt for the Accession MM with all its extra flexibility? And will one or other of these be most likely to suit the capabilities of the 10x5 in particular?

2) How much difference would the PSU1 make with the Era Gold V or the Reflex M as against the standard "green" power supply? And how dependent have users of the PSU1 found it to be on the state of their mains supply?

All opinions gratefully received!

frank
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Hi All

Currently running Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 HOMC into Rega Fono/Elex-R/Ela Mk2s. V. happy with sound, but suspect could do even better - and increasingly frustrated by lack of mono switch on Fono for my increasing stock of vintage + reissue mono vinyl. Like the idea of switching to GS MM phono stage. Questions:

1) Do I go for Era Gold V + mono switch (pricewise, easiest upgrade from the Fono)? Or the Reflex M + mono switch? Or go whole hog and punt for the Accession MM with all its extra flexibility? And will one or other of these be most likely to suit the capabilities of the 10x5 in particular?

2) How much difference would the PSU1 make with the Era Gold V or the Reflex M as against the standard "green" power supply? And how dependent have users of the PSU1 found it to be on the state of their mains supply?

All opinions gratefully received!

frank

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I don't. I would say if you are unsure of what model to buy, the loaner program is the best way to figure out what will work best for you. Now, IIRC the loaner Reflex I tried did not have a mono switch (maybe I'm misremembering?) but when I bought mine I went for that option. I can tell you the mono switch works very well and has made an improvement in my mono playback for both old and new mono records. So if you have mono records, definitely get a mono switch no matter what model you buy. 

RE: the power supply - I started using my Reflex with the standard "green" supply. It sounds fine with that, but I think the unit was really designed to work with the PSU-1. When I did do the upgrade, I noted that the noise floor was lower and everything sounded better overall. My power is pretty good here, but I do have the occasional problem. Thankfully, not recently. I think this is the area where you have to assess your current budget. If you can't swing the PSU-1 now, no big deal. You can always get it later. That said it's cheaper to buy everything at once to avoid incurring multiple shipping charges. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 12:31am
Hi Frank

I also previously had a Rega Fono/Elex-R with my P3. I initially trialed a Reflex-M to compare; you can see my review here:

The loaner Reflex I had did not have a mono switch, so when I ordered my new Reflex I also got it fitted with a mono switch. I don't have a lot of mono recordings, but the cost of the switch is really not very much so I though I might as well get it. It does improve mono record play back.

I only ever trialed with the PSU-1 so can not comment on the green power supply.

I would say that the best thing to do is try the different models in your own system at home.

Cheers
Derek

Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
[/QUOTE]

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I don't. I would say if you are unsure of what model to buy, the loaner program is the best way to figure out what will work best for you. Now, IIRC the loaner Reflex I tried did not have a mono switch (maybe I'm misremembering?) but when I bought mine I went for that option. I can tell you the mono switch works very well and has made an improvement in my mono playback for both old and new mono records. So if you have mono records, definitely get a mono switch no matter what model you buy. 

RE: the power supply - I started using my Reflex with the standard "green" supply. It sounds fine with that, but I think the unit was really designed to work with the PSU-1. When I did do the upgrade, I noted that the noise floor was lower and everything sounded better overall. My power is pretty good here, but I do have the occasional problem. Thankfully, not recently. I think this is the area where you have to assess your current budget. If you can't swing the PSU-1 now, no big deal. You can always get it later. That said it's cheaper to buy everything at once to avoid incurring multiple shipping charges. 
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

Hi Frank

I also previously had a Rega Fono/Elex-R with my P3. I initially trialed a Reflex-M to compare; you can see my review here:

The loaner Reflex I had did not have a mono switch, so when I ordered my new Reflex I also got it fitted with a mono switch. I don't have a lot of mono recordings, but the cost of the switch is really not very much so I though I might as well get it. It does improve mono record play back.

I only ever trialed with the PSU-1 so can not comment on the green power supply.

I would say that the best thing to do is try the different models in your own system at home.

Cheers
Derek

Cheers both - very helpful responses! It sounds like a mono switch is a complete no-brainer whatever I opt for - and that the loaner programme is the way to go to assess system synergies and the PSU-1 effect - so that's what I'll do. Derek - your review of the Reflex M + PSU-1 was very informative - that might be my loaner benchmark in starting out, though I know the Era Gold V has its partisans as well!
Many thanks again - will add my own thoughts when I'm properly "in the GS loop"!

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic