FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by TimW TimW wrote:

I like it. Entertaining video as well. I did a bit of checking about the wet/dry vac prices. They're not as cheap in the UK as over the pond. No doubt some well-known discount supermarkets will, at some point, be flogging off own brand vacs!

I've had a 1HP mini-vac and a 2.5HP mini vac. Both of them cost less than $30 each over here. It's too bad something similar isn't available in your area. Do you have home improvement big box stores? That is where I would check first. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
poppyhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppyhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:09pm
Back in the day I used the Lencoclean wet-play device but pre-internet had trouble getting fluid and then it fell apart. That left hundreds of LPs with crap in the bottom of the groove that made them very crackly. Then CDs arrived like the 5th Cavalry and I basically put the LPs away for over 30 years. 

Now I’m retired, have built a listening room and got my vinyl out again. I started to tackle the Lencoclean Legacy with a Knosti cleaner, but soon moved on to a full RCM which I prefer because 1) the fluid is dispensed per disc, not per batch, 2) it’s quicker, 3) I don’t have wet records all over the place, and 4) It cleans 78s with alcohol-free fluid and no disc-bending. With about 1,200 LPs and several hundred 78s, the £300 or so for the machine and a few pence a disc for consumables seems a fair deal. Most records have responded really well to the cleaning and I must admit that buying a Revelation M (which is why I’m here), almost entirely for those 78s, is way more extravagant ... 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:04pm
That's great to read Poppy and thanks for joining us. My Revelation M was great, I used the HF switches more than the LF options. FWIW I decided some years ago that the pleasure I got from listening to records, even digitised ones, was worth the investment in equipment and I realised that cleaning makes a difference. I found distilled water was pretty good, with the manufacturer's recommended additive.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 18 Mar 2021 at 7:04pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
poppyhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote poppyhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:46pm
Totally agree - having had no proper system set up at home for some time I'd forgotten just how much pleasure I've had from all this over the years; hoping for a fair bit more before I go deaf or drop off the perch altogether ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic