FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Stanton 680 - Adventures in Retipping + Loading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanton 680 - Adventures in Retipping + Loading
    Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Awhile back I decided to get my Stanton 680 retipped. I've tried a Jico stylus on it and while I liked it overall I thought I could do better with a retip job. I won't name the guy that did the work but I'll just say I went through a bit of hassle to get the job done correctly as it wasn't done right the first time. I then had the work verified by a third party. 

So what I ended up with was a cartridge that started life as a Stanton 680EL-mkII-X, but had a nude Ogura 8/70 line contact stylus put on it and a new rubber suspension. The cartridge works well now but I need to work out the loading for it. 

On the original stock cartridge Stanton recommended 275pf for the total capacitance. I recently bought a Technics 1200mk7 and I'm not sure about the capacitance of the internal tonearm wiring. I've emailed Panasonic to try to get this number. I was told on the old 1200s, the internal tonearm wiring (not RCA cables) the capacitance was around 10pf, which is really low.

With my Reflex and the RCA cables I use I'm at ~160pf. If the 10pf spec for the tonearm wiring is correct that's ~170pf total. The inductance of the cartridge is 900mh per Stanton specs. 

Now, I took a crude measurement using the frequency sweep on my CBS STR-100. My results show that there is a 10db dip around 14Khz. I'm wondering if the additional capacitance of 100pf via loading plugs will work that out. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:10pm
Here is what things look like with 100pf plugs added in with T-connectors, so roughly 280pf total. This is the left channel graphed from the CBS STR100 frequency sweep:

Edited by patientot - 04 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic