FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best streamer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
habitullence View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

The only thing I would add is a good quality power supply, the PI is poor here, I use an Allo Digi one as they worked on the power filtering between Raspberry Pi and their Digital out board.

Thanks, looking at the Allo and Shanti. Seen various reviews, looks awesome.
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:24pm
Hi, Understand your concern on Jitter. 
I share my experience, I have recently bought the Majestic and I feel that the Computer >> Via USB >> Majestic will be greatly rewarding. 
I use network streamer's as my UPnP / DLNA player to Access my Music in NAS / Stream Tidal and Roon Endpoint. If you do not want the above functions a streamer is not going to improve much. 
Probably our more experienced members of the group can shed some more light on this. 
Cheapest Streamer:
- If you can get a Google Chrome cast Audio (Now obsolete, try Ebay), Optical out to Majestic and you can Stream Tidal / Spotify / MP3's in Mobile or DAP's / Even supports Roon.
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:57pm
I am one step up or sideways from a Chromecast Audio, and have an Arylic S50 Pro working. It will do 24/192 just fine over my wifi (lucky?), but I had to work on my wifi a bit to get it where I needed it. 

I have to use Audirvana to stream at full res though. I'm using an Allo Nirvana power supply, but I want to make a couple more shorting plugs before I start doing any measurement. I am really happy with the sound quality. 

I think there's a gap in the market where a device that would act as a DAC with good support for inputs and take streaming via wifi or a physical connection. This box I'm using has no support for an optical in, and my old CD player is no great shakes on the sound quality. There's seems to be little out there that will take a bunch of digital inputs without adding a bunch of bells and whistles.

I'm trying to sort out the gain chain now so I can use my own preamp to process the signal. Oddly, abusing the balanced input by running RCA into them with a converter is working pretty darned well, and it gives me a dedicated 12AU7 on what I assume to be a differential amplifier so I can add distortion to my heart's content. lol
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm
Even now, I'm not a believer that bit depth and sample rate higher than Red Book CD is necessary. Mixing and mastering is what makes the difference. Some Youtube audio sounds better than some (different) stuff on a CD. Better production. Production is king and so is the transducer you listen with.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 12:02am
I’m with Ash on this (with one caveat). Red book is pretty bloody good when decoded well. And yes, the engineering, mixing and mastering is where the results will be most greatly influenced. As Graham stated in another thread, the implementation of the digital transfer from transport (CD/laptop/streamer) to DAC is also important. More important for me - my CD transport trounces my laptop on red book files. 

My one caveat is that personal experience tells me higher rate recordings end up less fatiguing in long term listening. Vinyl for me has the same effect. 

It’s easy enough to read theory about lesser rates needing the brain to reconstruct what it thinks it should be hearing when presented with less than ideal sound quality (Zoom meetings, anyone?), but the research is still young. 
I own red book, 24/96 and 24/192 versions of a number of albums because I was interested in comparing for myself. There’s a difference for me in long term listening comfort. Whether it’s down to mastering or the inherent quality of the bit depth and sample rate become largely irrelevant, I suppose. 
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:05pm
+1 for Ash & Mick.

With all my quest for Hi-res files, The comparison has always driven me back to the fact that the Red-book from CD transport or Ripped to NAS Streamed via my Streamer has been good.

Yes few files are mastered so well that a Hi-Res Capable set-up will benefit from the same. Unfortunately those are very few. 

Most of my Collections in my NAS are ripped FLAC files from my Personal CD collections, And they sound sublime via the Majestic (My new toy). Tidal is always the second choice.
Cheers,
Vinod Vincent
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic