FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Please convince me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 2:09am
Decent but not silly money - there’s a huge selection! Do you have somewhere you can try them out? Focal, Sennheiser, Audeze, AKG, Grado, Dan Clark Audio...all have excellent reputations with their mid-price models. 
Check out:
 Audeze LCD-2
Focal Elear
The above mentioned AKG
Sennheiser HD660

All common and well loved. You can read loads of reviews and get an idea of price and sound signature and go from there.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:29am
Some of these headphones are very expensive for the sound fidelity you actually receive. The second hand market like Ebay is the best place to learn for minimum money loss as incorrect headphone selection is pretty much a certainty until you've heard quite a few models and are fully aware of your own expectations and taste. Only buy really good condition with accessories and keep it all together in case you need to sell it on.

The listener matures with time and experience. Sometimes first, you have to experience what doesn't work so well before you fully appreciate what does. You don't always recognise progess when looking forward; it is often when you take a look back and reflect. My expectations are different from yours so I can't really suggest a headphone you will get along with. There is so much nonsense regarding headphone sound online. Sorting through it all is a journey in itself and became very tiresome for me.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Hi Brian,
   It’s a good question. For me it’s not a case of better or worse, but different. With headphones you get to hear a sound completely unencumbered by a poor room and it’s reflections, lumpy bass and zingy highs. However, like Ash says, if you’ve got a good room, then you don’t have that problem. I enjoy headphones and speakers for the strengths of each, and I’m lucky to have a good and dedicated listening room. Perhaps a short pros and cons list...

Headphones  - intimacy and detail, terrific microdynamics, even response and tonal balance, deeper bass extension. Cons for me are a smaller soundstage and I can’t share it with friends in real time.

Speakers - massive recorded acoustics on the classical performances I love, the physical impact of music, greater depth and width of soundstage, more tactile and textured and 3D. Cons - I really need to save for a good subwoofer!

I built my headphone and speaker systems to do two very different things, rather than try to balance each system so I get the same “experience”. I started with the assumption that I’d never get them to meet in the middle, so I wouldn’t try. 

Again agreeing with Ash, if you don’t have a good room or perhaps don’t have the space, I’ve found headphones to be excellent value for money. Then again, I like what headphones do well, so I’m not chasing the top end.

Enjoy hearing what headphones can do in 2020 - I think if you go and demo a few you’ll see that they’ve come a long way in 25 years. There’s a huge amount of variety and you don’t need to shop at the top end to find something that (to my ears) easily bests the older classics like the HD600. 
All the best,
Mick.

Pretty much agree with all this. I think OP has to figure out what they like and what route to go. I prefer speakers and pretty much only use headphones when I have to, which is why I'm loathe to spend top dollar on a headphone rig. I do think even some of the inexpensive headphones you can buy nowadays can sound pretty good with some DSP/EQ. Worst case scenario OP can buy an inexpensive set of headphones to start with and see if they want to go further down the rabbit hole. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:28pm
Great feedback chaps, many thanks - I guess it's just another path to explore (together with room correction, thanks Ash).

As we are in house arrest at the moment I was thinking maybe I could build the NOVO kit and start from there, anyone got any experience of the kit please?

thanks,
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic