FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Considering an overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an overhaul
    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:09pm
I’m thinking of upgrading my system - Pink Triangle turntable with Reflex M, an Audiolab 8200CD, an Arcam FMJ A19, a pair of old Musical Fidelity MC4 speakers. I occasionally stream Spotify from my MacBook Pro through the Audiolab’s DAC. Apart from liking the overall sound of the Arcam my headphones also sound pretty good when used with it. It’s a conventional set-up. I can continue on a similar path but move up to better quality gear or I can try Graham’s way. 

Most of the forum discussions around how amplification works go right over my head, and I don’t think it’s important for me to understand why the Propius amps can push out as much volume as more powerful amps. What I would like to understand is if I were to switch to Graham’s equipment, what would I need and what connects to what and in which order. 

Presumably my Arcam would need to be replaced by a Majestic / Propius combination? Would I then connect the Reflex M and the Audiolab to the Majestic? Would I connect my MacBook to the Majestic's DAC? Would I need to bypass the Audiolab’s DAC when playing CDs? Presumably I would need a separate headphone amp as well? Alternatively, could I keep the Arcam and use it as a pre-amplifier connected to a pair of Proprius blocks? Apologies if my questions sound naïve, I know nothing about how equipment works I just listen to the music.

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:24pm
You have it pretty much correct.
CD/MacBook - Majestic - Proprius. Bypassing the Audiolab DAC.
Reflex - Majestic - Proprius.
You will need a separate headphone amp, eventually.
You could use your Arcam as a preamp, feeding the Proprius from the “pre out”.
In which case you could still use the Arcam for a headphone amp, until you replaced it with a new preamp.

Edited by CageyH - 23 Apr 2020 at 3:26pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:42pm
What Kevin said. However, my experience in doing exactly that (using my Arcam Alpha 9 as pre amp feeding Proprius) was that the Arcam wasn’t anywhere near as revealing as the Majestic. However, my Alpha 9 was from 2000, so yours is probably vastly superior!

With the benefit of hindsight and having been through your process I think there are two ways you can go.
A - add to your system piece by piece, enjoying each step along the way over a period of time, or
B - borrow Majestic, Proprius, Relfex/Accession, Solo ULDE and cables from the loan scheme and do it over two weeks. You could add each piece of equipment one at a time (MAKE SURE THEY ARE PLUGGED IN AND TURNED ON ALL OF THE TIME) or in combinations for a week to see what each brings to the table, then spend an entire week with the full Slee system. When it comes time to reinstall your current system, you’ll know instantly whether the Slee designs are for you.

Enjoy the journey,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Frank Furter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Furter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:01am
Thank you CageyH and Aussie Mick, the suggestions from both of you help give me a better idea of how to move forward. Staggering the trial to hear the difference each piece of equipment makes makes a lot of sense. Once this lockdown malarkey eases up a bit I can contact Fatman Golf about a loan. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Frank Furter Frank Furter wrote:

Once this lockdown malarkey eases up a bit I can contact Fatman Golf about a loan. 

The loaner program is operating (legally) during lockdown, but Jon AKA Fatmangolf retired from the duties, and it is now being run by John C: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/uk-loaner-program-back_topic4784.html
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:31am
Borrowing the entire system at once will give you a good idea if the end product is what you are looking for, at minimal cost.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic