FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alternative power supply to psu1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
zyss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:05pm
I am considering trying a battery power supply for my Revelation (M) phono stage. A battery pack can be made DIY with the specs of the PSU1 (24V). Would that work adequately in terms of sound?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
I don't know as I haven't tried this myself. If you have 16 decent 1.5V rechargable batteries* to hand why not just experiment. A couple of thoughts. First I recall that batteries do generate noise as they discharge so your battery pack may need some filtering and they have internal resistance which means a less stable or 'stiff' supply rail. Secondly I'd personally want to include a switchover to the SMPS 24V supply so the Revelation M is continuously powered whilst you recharge the 16 batteries. Probably obvious already but the SMPS must not be connected to the battery pack.

*because they are cheaper than 9 volt (PP3 in UK and usually 8.4V so need three of them) batteries and 16 would have 10x more energy storage than 3 PP3's so less frequent charging. I think the Revolution M drew about 10 milliamps without any music going through it so you'd only get a day from three 200mAH PP3's compared to about a week from AA/1.5V batteries.

I hope this is helpful and look forward to reading how it goes.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
zyss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:52pm
Thank you for your advice. I have just discovered that the topic of battery PS is discussed elsewhere on this forum, and I posted there.  Please see some details I could share there, if interested. You may want to share there some specifics on building the filtering, if that is not obvious for DIY people (I am not technically literate).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic