FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

John coltrane both directions / blue world

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John coltrane both directions / blue world
    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:15pm
these both totally passed me by until i saw them for the first time today

Did anyone get them? Im assuming extremely good?

I have them both winging their way to me.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:13pm
I haven't heard Blue World yet, but did buy the single disc version of Both Directions. I don't think everyone will be totally blown away by BDAO (unrealistic expectations at play), but it's definitely worth getting if you are a Coltrane fan. 

Edited by patientot - 10 Mar 2020 at 9:14pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 12:48pm
that makes sense.

I got the double vinyl version but i did hesitate to think
.. just how many versions of some of these compositions do i need but then i remember the truly mindbending versions with Eric Dolphy on tour in Europe and then realise... hmm probably do need any and all versions.

For some reason i havent opened by copies yet. Looks like i have decided to save them  for a special occasion.
cdnJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdnJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:26pm
I have both & really enjoy them. the sound quality is top notch because they’re both studio sessions. keep in mind Blue World is a lot shorter cause it’s a film soundtrack
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm
Finally had time to open both directions.

Nicely packaged - lots of great photos and sound is top notch as one would expect from an impulse studio session.

If youre expecting to find a new composition to rival alabama or love supreme then no... if youre expecting to just hear the classic quartet play in a style similar to crescent era before things took a different direction with transition and ascension then this is a lovely album. The band sounding surprisingly relaxed and carefree compared to their albums from the era.

Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:32pm
No i was completely wrong - those 2 originals on side b - just superb.

Flicking eq setting to british on grahams preamp gave sound a nice subtle brightening that really brought out piano and delicate cymbal work on these tracks but that could just be because my stereo is in a temporary random location in house.

Great stuff.

fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by cdnJohn cdnJohn wrote:

I have both & really enjoy them. the sound quality is top notch because they’re both studio sessions. keep in mind Blue World is a lot shorter cause it’s a film soundtrack

Just opened and played my copy of Blue World yesterday afternoon. Fantastic Van Gelder sound (tho' I've no idea whether it's an AAA pressing), natty packaging - and a standard LP-length's worth of truly fantastic music. Imagine the '59/'60 vibe of Giant Steps or Like Sonny (there's a version of 'Like Sonny' itself - and two wonderful takes of 'Naima') played by the classic quartet at their 1964 peak (between Crescent and Love Supreme). Everyone on top form - Garrison and Jones especially fine in places. If you like late-mid Trane, you can't go wrong!

It's well worth checking out the film itself (Le Chat Dans Le Sac) - a real treat if, like me, you're excited by anything Nouvelle Vague-influenced from the 60s in b/w. It's on the National Film Board of Canada website here: 

There's also a couple of short NFBC clips on YouTube relating to the film/music background and the release of Blue World:

Be careful, though - that NFBC site can get seriously addictive! Wink

frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic