FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hi, I'm new here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:48pm
Just come across this thread - and yes, very interesting.

I also tend to look out for particular labels and mastering engineers when buying reissue vinyl (currently awaiting delivery of the Miles Showell half-speed Dusty In Memphis) - and then tend to cross-check at both the Hoffman forums and the inevitable Discogs (with large pinches of salt for both). Often, though, I seem to end up punting for 70s/early 80s reissues/remasterings of 50s/60s stuff I'm after, purely on the basis that it won't have a D in the chain - and is often cheaper, to boot.

With new stuff, we have to take what we get - though most of the new LPs I've bought over the last few years have sounded pretty good to me. Dumb luck, perhaps?

As for the Loudness Wars (speaking as a Stooges fan who got suckered in buying Iggy's everything-louder-than-everything-else remix of Raw Power because of the acknowledged toppiness of the Bowie/Ronno-produced original) - has anybody got any thoughts on whether they've eased up a bit lately? After all, the cynic in me whispers that record companies could start promoting a whole new round of All-New-Post-Loudness-Wars-"Original"-Balance-And-Tonality-Remasters of our 50s and 60s favourites as a fresh income stream for those of us in the Mojo demograhic with more money than sense.... Wink
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Just come across this thread - and yes, very interesting.

I also tend to look out for particular labels and mastering engineers when buying reissue vinyl (currently awaiting delivery of the Miles Showell half-speed Dusty In Memphis) - and then tend to cross-check at both the Hoffman forums and the inevitable Discogs (with large pinches of salt for both). Often, though, I seem to end up punting for 70s/early 80s reissues/remasterings of 50s/60s stuff I'm after, purely on the basis that it won't have a D in the chain - and is often cheaper, to boot.

With new stuff, we have to take what we get - though most of the new LPs I've bought over the last few years have sounded pretty good to me. Dumb luck, perhaps?

As for the Loudness Wars (speaking as a Stooges fan who got suckered in buying Iggy's everything-louder-than-everything-else remix of Raw Power because of the acknowledged toppiness of the Bowie/Ronno-produced original) - has anybody got any thoughts on whether they've eased up a bit lately? After all, the cynic in me whispers that record companies could start promoting a whole new round of All-New-Post-Loudness-Wars-"Original"-Balance-And-Tonality-Remasters of our 50s and 60s favourites as a fresh income stream for those of us in the Mojo demograhic with more money than sense.... Wink

Funny you should mention Dusty In Memphis. Played this album the other day. The one I have on LP is a Chris Bellman cut from Rhino/Atlantic from a couple years ago. I have no idea if it is AAA or not. Usually Bellman will cut from tapes if he can. Showell definitely doesn't cut from tape, which I'm sure you know. He needs to use a digital de-esser and other tools on his DAW which is why. If you really want a new AAA copy you'll have to track down the Analogue Productions 45rpm version. It's sold out at a lot of places but might still be available at some stores for a "regular" price. I'd like to hear it myself at one point but I do think 45rpm will disrupt the flow of the album a bit. 

Re: the Loudness Wars, they are still going on so everything is a case by case basis for me. No more preorders or jumping the gun on stuff for me. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:43pm
Hi P!

I decided to punt for the Showell Dusty In Memphis as part of a job-lot because (digital masters notwithstanding) I like his half-speed Eno remasters (On Land @ 45rpm particularly sounding better than my 1982 EG original) - and because I know it's bound to be superior to my 4MenWithBeards copy (great packaging, lousy vinyl). Have heard good things about the Bellman cut - but forgot to mention that I've also got a copy of this version http://https://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Springfield-Dusty-Springfield-In-Memphis--Plus/release/3042313 on order for delivery when the seller's friend's physical shop reopens. Version variants notwithstanding - what an album, eh?

As for the (seven-year? thirty-year? hundred-year?) Loudness Wars - grrrrr.... Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic