FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audio Technica ART 7 or Art 9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Technica ART 7 or Art 9
    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:27am
Hello all,

Does anybody have experience of these cartridges?
The Art 9 seems to be the next logical step from my AT33PTG/II, but the Art 7 looks interesting, except for the 0.12mV output. I think that will be a challenge for most MC phonostages.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Hello all,

Does anybody have experience of these cartridges?
The Art 9 seems to be the next logical step from my AT33PTG/II, but the Art 7 looks interesting, except for the 0.12mV output. I think that will be a challenge for most MC phonostages.

Never owned either but I have heard the ART 9. Very nice sounding cartridge overall but not quite the top tracker and tracer that AT MMs are, so I wouldn't buy one personally. That said if you are not constantly playing very demanding records you may like it a lot. Many people do. 

If I were shopping for a new AT MC cart, I would look very closely at the new OC9X series, and specifically the ML model. There was a test by Miller Audio Research of the SH model and it performed very well. The ML should be even better. It's also less expensive than the ART 9. 

I wouldn't get the ART 7 due to the very low output. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 2:20pm
Thanks for the reply. I currently have an AT33PTG/II and I was looking for a step up the performance ladder.
The output of the ART7 is very low, and I think background noise etc. will be a problem.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:53pm
I am having second thoughts about buying a new cartridge.
I installed my Technics 310MC which has been repaired by ESCO, and I have to say it sounds really good.
The cantilever was repaired with a new one grafted in, which carries a Paratrace.

I am just wondering if an Art9 would be a sideways step from this.
Kevin
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I am having second thoughts about buying a new cartridge.
I installed my Technics 310MC which has been repaired by ESCO, and I have to say it sounds really good.
The cantilever was repaired with a new one grafted in, which carries a Paratrace.

I am just wondering if an Art9 would be a sideways step from this.

I would hold off and use what you have. I have not heard that Technics cartridge but if the cart is sounding good and has a fresh stylus might as well enjoy it. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic