FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Gram Amp 2 Communicator - connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PeteW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gram Amp 2 Communicator - connections
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
I have just joined the forum as I am considering the purchase of a Gram Amp 2 Communicator.. However, I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help with:

1. The output from my P******t Debut Carbon Esprit turntable is currently fed to my amp via a P******t Phono Box (bottom of the range phono stage). I am looking at upgrading my cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Bronze MM. If I do this then I think the phono stage will prevent me getting the best from the cartridge which is where the Gram Amp comes in. Does anyone have any experience of the the Gram Amp in conjunction with this particular cartridge? I would welcome any constructive observations. The loan scheme is very appealing as I can test this for myself once I have the cartridge.

2. Due to space restrictions the cable run from my phono stage to the amp is about 3-4 metres. If I keep the Gram Amp in the same location then am I likely encounter any problems? The phono stage is co-located with the turntable and connected by the cables supplied with the turntable. 
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:32am
Hi Peter

I don't have any experience yet with any GSP phono as I am also new here and I'm currently arranging a home loaner to try.

I do however have a 2M Bronze, I like the cart, but it will need to be run in for some time when you get it before it sounds really good. 

I would not think it a good idea to try a loaner from GSP as soon as you get the 2M Bronze as without the cart being run in it might not give you a true reflection of what the phono actually sounds like in your system.

Cheers, Derek
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
PeteW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:30am
Good thinking. The moment you change more than one thing at once how do you know what has made a difference. By giving the bronze time to settle in to the system as it is and getting used to that set up I will also be able to more easily identify the difference the Gram Amp makes when I try that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic