FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How best to deal with regular power outages?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How best to deal with regular power outages?
    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:41am
So...some of you may have heard that our state-run power entity here in South Africa (ESKOM) is having some issues...massive understement. We lucky folk have been living with scheduled power cuts for years now, quaintly known as load shedding. 

Bottom line is that I haven't yet invested in sufficient inverter hardware to run my desktop headphone rig when the lights go out (soon, this stuff ain't cheap, and things like lights, internet and TV take priority in my household, unfortunately...) Angry. This means that my beloved Ultra Linear might lose power twice a day in extreme cases. Not great when it's a device that requires some decent warming up time and should remain powered on indefinitely. I can clearly hear when the amp is not in optimum operating range. 

My question is, what would be the most prudent way to deal with these incessant outages?
My PSU1 is plugged into a decent quality power bar which also provides surge protection.
Other components are powered via a Furman power conditioner.

At the moment I am simply flipping the OFF switch on the power bar just prior to load shedding, and switching it on again once juice is restored. However, sometimes it catches me by surprise and this morning I forgot power was going out at 10h00, leaving everything powered up with headies connected...wonder what the UL sounds like on power down through 25 Ohm Fostex TH-X00..?)

I suppose the real question is, could frequent (as in four or five times a week) powering up and down be detrimental to my precious? At the moment I am contemplating only using it when there is a guarantee of stable supply for a reasonable period of time.

Edited by capetownwatches - 05 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 2:27pm
In your situation I think I might try a relatively inexpensive battery UPS intended for computer backup.  The Solo should draw much less power than a PC and even a relatively small unit might prove more than sufficient to maintain power to it during the periods of outage.
Tony G
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 2:37pm
I was about to suggest the very same thing, investigate a UPS. If you can shuffle your mains wiring around you would be able to power all your 'sensitive' kit and for low drain devices possible keep them on all the time.
I had this website bookmarked as I had been checking them out myself.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic