FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

In ear phones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In ear phones
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:36pm
Hi all,any recommendations for in ear phones ( to be worn in bed )
Ta.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 5:57am
Hello Dave,

The marketplace is awash with limited edition and boutique IEMs at the moment.  I've always been a little dubious as to why IEMs would need to be produced on a limited run aside from pushing up the price so have stuck to Shure and currently own the 425, 846 and KSE1500 (electrostatic).  The 425 is very good, the 846 (at over twice the price) improves the bass although the returns quickly diminish with increasing cost.  The KSE1500 is ridiculously expensive but is possibly the best IEM/headphone I've ever heard.

I've been happy with them all and have used them in the past when travelling and trying to get to sleep in noisy hotels.  The memory foam sleeves provide a tight seal; bass sounds good and sound leakage is minimal, anyone in bed with you doesn't have to listen to the 'tiss-tukka-tiss-tukka' that makes travelling on public transport such a miserable affair.  The design of the IEM is such that it's flat when worn so if you won't impale yourself should you fall asleep while wearing them.  The (removable) cables are very sturdy as might be expected of a unit initially designed for musicians on stage.  I've swapped my cables out with some from surf cables which are balanced and made of a more flexible material which I find more comfortable for general usage.

Kind regards
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:49am
Hi James,thanks for a very complete reply..will come back later,
Kr,Baz.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:03am
Hi Dave,
   My wife bought me a birthday pair of Bluetooth in-ears from Bose for the gym. Excellent noise isolation, perfect for the intended use! I had reservations on sound quality that were quickly banished once the drivers had time to loosen up. They’re absolutely nowhere near the quality of my Focal Elear driven by the Solo ULDE, but they are also one fifteenth the cost. For watching a movie from the iPad they’re just fine and the good lady doesn’t have to listen to it. I’ll listen to an album off Tidal and yes, they show their limitations, but hey, I’m in bed and you can’t have everything. 
Good luck,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic