FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New believer!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New believer!
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 2:39am
Hi All,

What started as a quest to figure out what was wrong with my TT setup has led me to this great place. I've recently acquired a Rega P6 fitted with an Ortofon 2M Bronze for my birthday. For the longest time I had it connected directly to my Rotel RA-1572 integrated amp and I just could not get it to sound right. I would endlessly A/B tracks between a digital source (Tidal via PC-USB) and what I was getting from my TT and was driven mad by how flat, almost lifeless things sounded. Sound was rather bright, mids were thin and details that I knew were there were veiled. I knew something was not right, I just couldn't put a finger on it. It's really hard to describe what you ears hears in words but that's the best description I could come up with. But when you have listened to something for so long, you expect it to sound a certain way.

After much deliberation with folks over at Steve Hoffman forums, the first observation was that I needed a 2mm shim to raise the Rega arm up to better suit the Ortofon. So I did that, and while I got a slight bit of improvement, it was not noticeable enough to make a huge difference. I felt that I got some of my lows back. But that thin bright sound lingered.

A few suggested that the integrated phono pre on my Rotel could be the culprit. So I decided to get my hands on an external phono pre and I put a deposit on a P******t Tube Box S2. At the same time, I was told about this amazing piece of art called the Reflex M and the loaner program. I did not hesitate, I came here, registered and within a couple of days I was talking to "BAK" who was an absolute joy to deal with and I had a unit shipped my way.

Upon connecting the S2, I immediately noticed a significant improvement over what I was hearing. Music has come alive, was full and while it was a tad bit too bright for my taste it still sounded eons better than what I was hearing through the Rotel's phono. And I thought to myself, that's it! I'm on the right track now, we have finally arrived. The records starting sounding better than their digital counterparts. I got the sound I was yearning for. I was ecstatic! And then I remembered, the Reflex M.. 

A couple of days later, FedEx knocks on my door with my care package from Bruce. I must say I was not expecting much, how much better can these records sound? Well apparently, a LOT better. Within 30 seconds of playing the A-side of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here..  a pressing from 1975 I picked up when I was in Chicago on a work trip. I was appalled. The bass lines.. the drums punched deeper than ever.. better than any digital version that I had ever heard. I was floored. This old pressing, that's been through so much. How can it sound that good?

I spent the rest of the week and the weekend going through my humble collection of 35+ records and it was like I was experiencing them for the first time. The soundstage, the separation, the thickness of the sound was simply delicious.

Needless to say.. the TubeBox is going back and I am a believer in the dark voodoo magic that Graham Slee has created in this small silver box. I can only begin to imagine what the Ascension can do, but I must crawl, before I can walk and eventually run. This has been a truly eye opening (and ear opening!) experience. I cannot wait to put my order for my very own Reflex M and when the time is right I would love to try the power amps and invest in those. I'm a believer of this product and what GS has achieved here. I am thankful for this community, and Bruce for volunteering his time to educate me about this and for giving me the opportunity to test this marvel of a device in my home. I don't think you can do this any better. I just felt that I should share this lovely experience with all of you.

I cannot wait to start this journey and I look forward to all the many things I will learn and tinker with along the way. So much music to listen to.. just not enough time!

Glad to be here!

Shaz aka. Andy

Edited by shaz - 05 Dec 2019 at 3:23am
Audio: Rega P6 Shimmed > Ortofon 2M Bronze > Reflex M (Loaner) > Rotel RA-1572 > Revel F36C
Power: Niagara 1200 + AQ NRG Z3
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:08am
Hi Andy & welcome,
Great write-up of your discovery of the ReflexM, which I think Graham once described as 
'The best I can do', before the idea behind the Accession came to fruition.
It is a superb amp no doubt about it.
You'll probably find your record collection expanding now..Smile

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:31pm
Shaz, 

Glad to hear the Reflex M is working out for you. And don't worry about having only 35 records...these things have a way of multiplying exponentially before you even notice :). 

RE: Chicago, I don't physically get out to the stores there as often as I'd like...it can be a great place to shop for records. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:43pm
👍
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic