FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Etymotic ER4 SQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 6:50am
Comparing the specs between mine and the IEMs I demo'd with the best sounding HF, impedance matching may not be the issue:

Etymotic ER4-PT = 27 Ohms, 102dB @ 1 kHz
Shure SE846-CL = 9 Ohms, 114dB @ 1 kHz
Campfire Audio Andromeda = 12.8 Ohms, 112.8dB @ 1kHz
Sennheiser HD-540ii = 300 Ohms, 94dB @ 1kHz

Someone with a more technical understanding may be able to clarify this as all were used via my DAP but only the ER4 sound rubbish.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

Comparing the specs between mine and the IEMs I demo'd with the best sounding HF, impedance matching may not be the issue:

Etymotic ER4-PT = 27 Ohms, 102dB @ 1 kHz
Shure SE846-CL = 9 Ohms, 114dB @ 1 kHz
Campfire Audio Andromeda = 12.8 Ohms, 112.8dB @ 1kHz
Sennheiser HD-540ii = 300 Ohms, 94dB @ 1kHz

Someone with a more technical understanding may be able to clarify this as all were used via my DAP but only the ER4 sound rubbish.

This is all a bit above my pay grade, but do you have a link to specs for your DAP? My understanding is that output impedance of the headphone jack is important. AFAIK if it is too high then it might not be the best match for some lower impedance headphones. 

I looked up measurements of the ER4PT done by Inner Fidelity. It looks like there is a significant dip in the frequency response just before 10Khz. That dip may lead to a sound you don't like. What you could try, is EQing the headphones using the EQ on your DAP or computer software. 

A quick and dirty way to do it is to look at the chart, and try to bring up the peaks where you see FR dips and the reverse for FR peaks. This is what I do for my headphones. 

A more complex/advanced way to do it is use software, e.g. Hesuvi + Equalizer APO (freeware) or Sonarworks (not free). Sonarworks does have a free beta Android app right now that you can also try. You select your model of headphones in the settings and it flattens out the FR. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 6:29am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

This is all a bit above my pay grade, but do you have a link to specs for your DAP? My understanding is that output impedance of the headphone jack is important. AFAIK if it is too high then it might not be the best match for some lower impedance headphones. 

I looked up measurements of the ER4PT done by Inner Fidelity. It looks like there is a significant dip in the frequency response just before 10Khz. That dip may lead to a sound you don't like. What you could try, is EQing the headphones using the EQ on your DAP or computer software. 

A quick and dirty way to do it is to look at the chart, and try to bring up the peaks where you see FR dips and the reverse for FR peaks. This is what I do for my headphones. 

A more complex/advanced way to do it is use software, e.g. Hesuvi + Equalizer APO (freeware) or Sonarworks (not free). Sonarworks does have a free beta Android app right now that you can also try. You select your model of headphones in the settings and it flattens out the FR. 

Thanks, mine too.

The spec does not list the output impedance although it does show the power output. I will ask the designer and hopefully he will supply that information.

In the last few months of using my IEMs via my old source I used to EQ them and they responded well, albeit they did not suffer with this bland frequency response issue at the time, but my new DAP does not include an EQ setting. Considering how amazing it makes my other headphones sound (even my Beyerdynamics sound considerably better than through my desktop system!!), I wouldn't want to compromise that anyway in purist fashion.

Your comment about Inner Fidelity has now inspired me to create a new thread as I have questions...
magical_mouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magical_mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:46am
i bought the ex4xr and in the end sold them as they were a little too analytic for my taste and bought the ex2xr (dynamic driver) which i much prefer.

BTW which dap did graham suggest?

d
magical_mouse
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:13am
Hi,

I have since demo'd other IEMs (including both newer Etymotic models) and I highly recommend the Final Audio B3. To my ears, nothing sounds better until you spend £1k+.

Graham recommended the Dethonray DTR1 after reviewing the specs and design of a shortlist I presented him. His knowledge is second to none as my DAP still sounds fantastic. Bear in mind that it is audio focussed rather than having all the unneeded mod cons...

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic