FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Head-Fi vs HiFi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:30am
I think it’s also handy to remember that a stereo presentation from speakers isn’t anything like real life, either. Listening to an orchestra, jazz combo or rock band live you just don’t get the soundstage clarity you get when listening to your Hi-Fi system. In a way, it’s “unreal”.

So, it seems that in trying to get headphones to present themselves in the way speakers do is also just not real. Why not appreciate what headphones can give you (even inside your head) that speakers can’t, and vice versa? Indeed, we could then appreciate what live music gives us that our Hi-Fi systems can’t!

Hmm...
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 4:55pm
...and on the topic of room conditioning, here's the 'tea cosy' I knitted to cover my TV to absorb the first order reflections from the speakers (made out of sound absorption cloth).

Thought I'd give you all a laugh on an otherwise boring Monday Smile
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:08pm
Take a look at the Smyth Realiser A16. I am very interested in purchasing it despite the high cost. Using DSP and head tracking and 16 virtual loudspeaker positions to imitate the spatial perception you get with loudspeaker setups is a very important step for headphones and has many applications. Looking foward to pairing GSP electronics and MySphere 3.1 with it. Need to save some more and sell some of my things before I consider dropping the money on it though. But virtual reality is the future of headphones and as they can do full frequency range with a single driver AND have low moving mass AND be completely open gives them very promising potential.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Take a look at the Smyth Realiser A16. I am very interested in purchasing it despite the high cost. Using DSP and head tracking and 16 virtual loudspeaker positions to imitate the spatial perception you get with loudspeaker setups is a very important step for headphones and has many applications. Looking foward to pairing GSP electronics and MySphere 3.1 with it. Need to save some more and sell some of my things before I consider dropping the money on it though. But virtual reality is the future of headphones and as they can do full frequency range with a single driver AND have low moving mass AND be completely open gives them very promising potential.

Fascinating... I'd be interested in how well they manage vertical positioning which is notoriously difficult, or at least was many years ago when I was working on my Masters project in psychoacoustics... Creating phantom speakers was relatively easy in the horizontal plane, although care was needed in the algorithm design to prevent the soundstage from splitting...

Back then though DSP processing power was limited and the only CDROM drive in the whole University was jealously guarded by the Computer Science dept :-)  How times have changed...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic