FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Era gold V V/S Angle Audio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Speedysteveb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedysteveb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Era gold V V/S Angle Audio
    Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:58am
Interresting morning, thought I would share.

Thanks to the brilliant loaner system I have an Era Gold V to audition. I also have the PSU 1 and standard 'wall wart' PSU's

My current phono amp is an Angle Audio, this has a 'wall wart' style PSU. Angle Audio costs arould £150 and is sold direct from the UK manufacturer via ebay.

I am looking for a replacement because I find the mid range a little 'in your face' and harsh. I also have the feeling the base extension could be better.

So its small British audio manufacturer v/s err, small British audio manufacturer! Both seem to have a similar aproach at least regarding aestetics, and direct selling to customers.

Given the Era gold is a much more expensve device I was expecting it to blow the Angle away, and it did....sort of.  

With the PSU 1 the Era Gold was far superior, particularly for vocals where they were much more controlled and a lot less harsh. However with the standard power supply the gap was much smaller, a similar, but not as pronounced harshness in the mid range also on the Era gold.

What I would really like to do next is put a regulated power supply on the Angle Audio and see what improvement that makes. unfortuanatly I dont have one of those, the supply voltages are different between the two.

So what to do, the Era Gold with the PSU1 is brillian, but for me, an expesive proposition. With the standard PSU the Era Gold is still better but its not as clear cut. 

I am going to leave the Era Gold switched on for a while, reading this forum it looks like that improves thing s further. I will update later!

Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:11pm
Any update on your comparison?
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:33am
Thank you for this review. Though I am still now sure which Graham Slee phono stage I may buy, I am also debating whether or not the PSU is worth the upgrade. I definitely believe that power supplies can affect the sound, but how much effect for how much money? This definitely makes me think it is worth the money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic