FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Genera - Custom Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GregR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GregR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genera - Custom Build
    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm
Hi Group,
I thought I might share my recent build of the Genera kit. I've been working on and off for about a year, pretty much a pay as you go proposition, and it's been "finished" for about 6 weeks now, I'm down to rolling the coupling caps.

I chose this kit because of the reputation of Mr Slee, and I prefer low parts count circuits designed well. For me, building audio is just as fun as listening, especially when the kit doesn't let the smoke out.:)

My version of the Genera is built dual mono. A CRCRC analog power supply using Sparkos Labs regulators sits in an external box. For the phono stage itself, I added/integrated two Lundahl 9226 SUT's from Kevin Carter. I chose to add a Hi/Lo switch for different cart outputs and the load resistors are in a socket for "easy" tuning. Parts selection is a personal decision and I chose to upgrade some of the parts I felt would bring an improvement in sound quality. The Op Amps are also from Andrew Sparks. I used tweaky wire and solder as well. I chose to add a few extra solder joints and connect the coupling caps to posts so I could fiddle with them. A whole lot of attention was given to grounding, the amp uses a star configuration. Finally, I left out every part I thought I could do without.

Cosmetically, I tried to imagine what Steam Punk would have looked like if it were a real thing as it evolved toward Streamline. It's all copper with stainless and brass accents. The wood is zebra wood I French polished with what should have been a turquoise tint but unfortunately came out too green. Oh well! The LED is turquoise and faces downward, which is my "signature" move.

I would describe my system as Hi Fi, better than stereo but not really high end. The Genera does however provide a nice view into what high end could be. I'm not trying to be flippant but I would say the Genera sounds like the record. With the Genera records sound like the era they are from, clearly. The amp is really very fast, as GSA said it would be. I also feel the amp is temporally correct, music's cadence seems natural, and the image is enjoyable. It's also dead quiet, no hum whatsoever, and a bit of hiss comes through at a volume position of 7, where 3 is almost too loud.

This project was really fun. To be sure, I colored way outside the lines, but there are few opportunities for artistic expression using electronics as a medium. We owe a debt of gratitude to those at GSA who took the time to make the Genera available.

I don't know if this works but I'll try links to some pics.

-Greg

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:13pm
Very interesting project Greg, DIY HiFi can be very rewarding. Great effort.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic