FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Enigma p/s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enigma p/s
    Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:28pm
Some months after changing from the Reflex C to the Accession MC (a move I’m very pleased with and I’ve posted my thoughts in the appropriate thread), I recently decided to give the new Enigma p/s a try. First on the Accession, which it is I think it was designed for and then on the Majestic. It’s now living on the Majestic permanently. This is, broadly speaking, because what it does for the Accession, it also does for the Majestic. But in this setting, I get double bubble as it works for the the digital sources too.  So what does it do? Well at first the up-change from the old to the new didn’t seem that great. And even back to back comparisons didn’t come across as chalk and cheese. The difference showed up though when I tried to go back to the original PSU1 permanently. That’s when I started to think I was missing something - so the Enigma goes back in and ah there it is!  The effect isn’t easy to define (it's an aptly named bit of kit!) but a coverall would be to say that it opens things up a bit and sweetens things up a bit. I have noticed small details that I thought I hadn’t heard before but when I go back to the standard power supply, they are plainly there, just a little less distinct and with somehow less appeal. So I suppose it’s really about emphasis and quite a delicate difference at that but it does make everything sound a little more pleasing and real and that, for me, makes it a worthwhile upgrade.  It’s just enough to get me re-listening to my favourite albums and tracks and weirdly, seems to have led to me listening to a load classical stuff, that I’ve rarely bothered with before. Most of this from digital sources (mainly Tidal via Bluesound Node 2. Here (and to get back to why it’s on the Majestic not the Accession) it makes things sound a little more natural and relaxed, more analogue (vague that I know - but I think it’s a fair description), this compliments the character of the Majestic, which is already adept at sweetening the digital pill.  So for these reasons it’s stayed on the Majestic (despite it not having quite the right plug but that can be sorted). My next move is to (hopefully) have loan of another one to try on the Accession to see if if the effect is cumulative.
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:01pm
sounds like you need a second enigma!  
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:18am
Sounds like I need an enigma! And an Accession MC...
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:21pm
It is inevitable that I'll end up with another Richard Smile  but I'll be interested to see how much benefit, having two in the same chain brings.  There's no doubt that power supplies have a significant effect on how kit sounds, anyone who has ever used Naim amps will vouch for that.  I think though that the amount of effect varies - possibly due to mains quality and what else is in line e.g. mains purifiers etc..  I'm sure my system sounds a little more/less dynamic sometimes and the only thing that I can put it down to is mains. I have a DC blocker on my power amp due to a DC due to DC offset that occurs from time to time, causing the toroid hum hum as well as (I think) slightly taking the sparkle off the sound.

Edited by IvanM - 23 May 2019 at 12:53pm
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:36pm
I can happily say that the Accession beat my Reflex C in every aspect Mick.  And the Enigma power supply sprinkles a little bit more magic (albeit fairly subtle) on the piece.  I have tried your setup though and I think that has the edge on the the Reflex C so the improvement for you may not be as great.  I'm fairly confident you'd notice a significant improvement in scale and imaging though. 

Edited by IvanM - 23 May 2019 at 12:55pm
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 2:17pm
OK I now have the Enigma p/s on my Majestic and my Accession.  I let everything settle down for a couple of days and have now just sat down and am playing a fairly new pressing of Let It Bleed that I have played a lot recently (after letting a couple of tracks play quietly to warm the cart up).  The sound is super present and there's something like vibrating air around the guitar strings (obviously! But I hadn't noticed it separately before).  Just got to Midnight Rambler and I'ts like I'm in the room.  Not every track is recorded the same but the ones that are recorded with air and 'space' are better than ever.  Glad I got it.  Right Bowie next, then Lou, then Kraftwerk, then Sparks, then Joe Jackson (Look Sharp - what a debut album!) then the Who, Who's next (stunning recording) then Prince, then Burial, Arcade Fire, The Clash, Kate Bush.............................
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic