FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Decisions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:48am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

Results: I have found that every cartridge has a "signature" voice, and that each of them has its own flavour. Considering that I play vinyl for around 400 hours each year and so I tend to wear out styli quit fast, I have kept them all, swapping between them regularly, and I am enjoying all of them.

In a way cartridges can be looked at like different flavors of ice cream. My collection is pretty small but there are folks that own 20, 30, 40 or more cartridges and swap them all the time or run multiple turntables. 

For me personally I like a daily driver with a neutral sound and superior inner groove tracking. 

For records in rougher condition I like a cheap conical cartridge. 

I do like ice cream...!!!
Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
Audioquest Chicago interconnect
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:45am
I do like ice cream and agree that cartridges do have sonic signatures.  

I can follow those using mono cartridges and for 78 owners and agree that all cartridges I have experienced (not that many over the years) are compromises. 

That said anyone owning say 30 cartridges is likely to have a substantial investment in them. I have found that some cartridges are more compromised than others whether tracking, surface noise, clarity, balance, soundstage or whatever but that these tend to reduce with the right choice in moving up the investment scale.  My personal preference would be rather than owning 30 cartridges at £100 a throw I would rather throw £1-2.5k on a top product unless or course there was something which fitted mY needed at a lower level. 

Having experienced koetsus together with mid to upper end dynavectors at home they are/were not perfect but in use they did bring many years of pleasure without many of the foibles of more cost effective cartridges. 

I would also use the similar logic to turntables unless of course they are use in different rooms or similar.

It is horses for courses but if using whatever hardware where some elements are better and some worse than anothers I have felt short changed and dissatisfied with the good/bad points of each and try and find something all things to all men (or women) which is usually achieved by careful selection of well designed products (as witnessed by Graham's phono stages).  Then a case of Sit back and enjoy.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 1:42am
I’m with Richard on this one! One really good cartridge that’s the most balanced (for my set up) that I can find. I ended up putting the Apheta 2 on my RP8 and have been very happy for quite some time. When it’s time for a replacement, I’ll probably look again at one cart to get me through.

Having said that, I do own five different versions of Kind of Blue, and seven recordings of Brahms’ third symphony. Is that really any different?

So, to each their own and happy travels in whatever it is we get from this pursuit. I love hearing about the journey of others!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:00am
agree Mick and in particular with your final paragraph 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic